Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This OK with the punctuation?

My wife Jennifer, my brother Patrick, and my sister Danielle will be attending the board meeting.

(I have one wife, one brother and one sister.)

Obviously, the traditionally punctuated version is a headache and looks ridiculous:

My wife, Jennifer; my brother, Patrick; and my sister, Danielle, will attend the board meeting.

I say this - although techically correct - is an eyesore ... too much punctuation going on here. Do you agree that my first sentence above - with just the commas - is correct as well?

Thanks

fb

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would add another comma to your suggested version, after Danielle.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
On this rare occasion, I disagree with ems. I would leave the first sentence as is.

Rover

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is this OK with the punctuation?

My wife Jennifer, my brother Patrick, and my sister Danielle will be attending the board meeting.

(I have one wife, one brother and one sister.)

Obviously, the traditionally punctuated version is a headache and looks ridiculous:

My wife, Jennifer; my brother, Patrick; and my sister, Danielle, will attend the board meeting.

I say this - although techically correct - is an eyesore ... too much punctuation going on here. Do you agree that my first sentence above - with just the commas - is correct as well?

Thanks

fb

I agree with Rover.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've read it again. I now disagree with myself and agree with Rover and bhaisahab!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The first sentence is a lot easier on the eye, though if your listener knows that you only have one of each, then omitting the names or just using the names would make it less bulky. However, these would not work as examples of this punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.