• Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default should not have

Which is correct:

1-You did well to remind me to fill my tax forms. I had already done it, but you did well to remind me. I should not have forgotten to do it.

2-You did well to remind me to fill my tax forms. I had already done it, but you did well to remind me. It was essential that I should not forget to do it.

I think "1" does not work. "I should not have forgotten to do it." seems to imply that I did forget to do it.

Gratefully,
    Navi.

probus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: should not have

Yes, I think 2 is correct and 1 contradicts itself. By the way, in AmE we would say "fill out forms" rather than "fill forms".

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: should not have

Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan View Post
    Which is correct:

1-You did well to remind me to fill my tax forms. I had already done it, but you did well to remind me. I should not have forgotten to do it.

2-You did well to remind me to fill my tax forms. I had already done it, but you did well to remind me. It was essential that I should not forget to do it.

I think "1" does not work. "I should not have forgotten to do it." seems to imply that I did forget to do it.

Gratefully,
    Navi.
    #1 is contradictory. It's not possible to say "I had already done it" and "I should not have forgotten to do it" together. As you say "I should not have forgotten to do it" means "I forgot to do it and I regret it. I should have remembered".

#2 is better though I wouldn't bother with the negative. I would end it "It was essential that I do it".

In BrE, we "fill in" forms, sometimes we "fill out" forms but we don't "fill forms".
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.