Valency analysis Unclarity - Please help:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iulianamindru

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Germany
So...I am an exchange student currently studying in the Germany with a scholarship. I ended up having to do an advanced English Syntax seminar without ever having studied English syntax and although I've tried to keep pace I still have some notions I didn't quite understand. Since all the students were advanced I felt embarrassed to always ask for explanations because I felt that I was wasting their time. Now I have to do a final project and I have to analyze a sentence according to the valency approach. Could you please help me? The sentence is:

Gover is now planning to write his memoirs, which will cover quite a range of cricketing experience.

So I've identified Gover as Complement, to write his memories as Infinitive Clause Complement, is planning as predicate and now as Adjunct. Now of the second part I'm unsure....will cover is the Predicate, a range of cricketing experience is a Complement (according to CGEL noun phrase?)
quite is an Adverb, but can it qualify as Adjunct as far as valency is concerned? And that leaves me with which - I'd say it's a complement-subject(CGEL)? but i'm quite sure that's wrong....

I'd be grateful if someone could help me! Thank you in advance!:)

Gov

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You seem to be labouring under a number of misapprehensions: for one thing, 'Gover' is the subject, not a complement. For another, the predicate of the sentence is everything from the word 'is' onwards. 'Will...experience', on the other hand, is the predicate of the subordinate (relative) clause, whose subject is 'which'.

Status
Not open for further replies.