• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Why did you remove my reply?

Here's the thing. I posted a warning in this thread: Troll. Dupicate post [link to the duplicate post]. Then, (presumably) Rover_KE deleted the duplicate post but subsequently also deleted my warning in the other thread! I thought to myself 'How about that!' In addition, Rover_KE posted two replies in the aforementioned thread. Again, I thought to myself 'So I put out a warning, a moderator removes it without even letting me know why. Do you actually care about keeping this forum clean from these fake questions?'

Nobody has ever deleted a post of mine before and so I'm a little surprised and disappointed by this. I've correctly identified trolls in the past and my accuracy rating so far is 100%. In fact, bricef, the poster of that fake question I linked to earlier, has now been banned and I have been proven right!

Could you please inform me why my post was deleted? If you delete a reply -- especially one by an established member -- it would be nice if you explained your reasons for doing so.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why did you remove my reply?

I presume that Rover_KE simply deleted it because it had a dead link and the issue had been resolved- it was certainly not meant in any way to undermine your work, and we are very grateful for people like you who help spot trolls. I have undeleted the post, apologise for any inconvenience, and really do hope you carry on your good work. And thanks for repeatedly flagging this troll up.

Rover did include a reason for the deletion, saying that the post you referred to had been deleted.

Chicken Sandwich is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I presume that Rover_KE simply deleted it because it had a dead link and the issue had been resolved- it was certainly not meant in any way to undermine your work, and we are very grateful for people like you who help spot trolls.
    I'm sorry, but that's not how I see it. I posted the warning at 09:35 AM (time in my country). Rover_KE deleted it and then answered bricef's question at 09:50 AM. bricef posted a follow-up question at 10:14 AM and Rover_KE replied 10:24 AM.

I think you see what I'm getting at. Rover_KE deleted my reply, ignored it, and went on answering bricef's questions. Wouldn't you agree that if a member posts a warning the right course of action is to start some kind of investigation instead of posting replies? If you keep answering their questions, the troll will come back. Clearly that's not what you want.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for the exact details as I wasn't here. However, the first thing to remember is that the banning could have been done by someone else, so the deletion and replies could merely have been tidying up a thread. I'll wait to see what happened, but the worst is that there has been some sloppy moderating/editing on our part- there's certainly no drive to encourage trolling, nor is there a drive to discourage people from reporting trolls. Again, I apologise for what has happened, and the post has been undeleted.

For one, I never answer that troll's questions. To be honest, I am in favour of deleting them regardless of whether they have answers or not. Others feel differently. Maybe zapping threads from this troll regardless of content could become an accepted policy, though this would mean that answers given in good faith go too.
    Last edited by Tdol; 22-Feb-2013 at 11:47. Reason: Typo

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

I apologise for offending you, Chicken Sandwich. I was tidying up the thread as Tdol recognised.

I replied to the question as I considered it to be of interest to other students.

I entirely agree with the administrator about your value to the forum both as a contributor and troll-spotter.

Most sincerely,

Rover

bhaisahab is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

I banned the user, but I didn't delete any of the posts.