• Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Could anyone please restructure this?

Dear Forum Users,

Could anyone please tell me how to streighten out this sentence (to improve flow):

In the graded salience conception, since salient (or coded) meanings that are listed in the mental lexicon are constantly on our mind (due to factors such as conventionality, frequency, prototypicality and the like), they enjoy prominence in interpreting utterances.

Thank you very much.

Csika

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Could anyone please restructure this?

Quote Originally Posted by Csika View Post
    Dear Forum Users,

Could anyone please tell me how to straighten out this sentence (to improve flow):

In the graded salience conception, since salient (or coded) meanings that are listed in the mental lexicon are constantly on our mind (due to factors such as conventionality, frequency, prototypicality and the like), they enjoy prominence in interpreting utterances.

Thank you very much.

Csika
    I'm afraid that I am going to have to live up to my name on this occasion...

I think you are trying to say something like this. All of us have our own individual background and experiences, which affect the way we think. Therefore, when we hear or read something, each one of us tends to understand it in our own particular way.

I know that you have to include some more details about " conventionality, frequency, prototypicality and the like", but the language you have used in the rest of your text is awfully pompous and stilted - and does not help the reader at all to understand what you are trying to say. Why use such phrases as "...enjoy prominence in interpreting utterances" when you mean "chiefly affect what you understand when you hear"? Good scientific writing or speaking - and, indeed, any non-fiction communication - should use the simplest possible words, and the shortest possible sentences. Using obscure, important-sounding words in long, convoluted phrases helps no-one.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but I'm sure you can do better than this.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....