Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: B&b


    • Join Date: Jun 2003
    • Posts: 495
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    B&b

    Is it true that American B&Bs are rather different from British B&Bs? I have stayed at British B&Bs a number of times and they were not very different from someone's house and didn't cost much. How about in the US?
    Thank you.

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: B&b

    I think they are pretty much the same. (I have never been to one, so I couldn't tell you from experience.)


  2. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: B&b

    There aren't as many B&Bs in the US as you'll find in England. The main reason is because the US has many discount or low-cost motel chains across the country. For less than the price of an average B&B in England (and I've stayed in many), you can have your own air-conditioned room with private bath and TV at a Motel 6 or Knights Inn or similar place. The B&Bs in the US tend to be revnovated old Victortian homes in expensive resort areas, and cost a lot more than a typical motel room.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2005
    • Posts: 2,585
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: B&b

    British B&Bs often have a very chatty owner in attendance. They will relentlessly tell you more than you want to know and ask you more than you want to tell.

    I don't know whether it's the same in the US. For their sakes, I hope not.

    MrP


    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 438
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: B&b

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    British B&Bs often have a very chatty owner in attendance. They will relentlessly tell you more than you want to know and ask you more than you want to tell.
    I don't know whether it's the same in the US. For their sakes, I hope not.
    MrP
    Reminds me of Fawlty Towers. :) Is that one a B&b, or a hotel?


    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 671
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: B&b

    Quote Originally Posted by englishstudent View Post
    Reminds me of Fawlty Towers. :) Is that one a B&b, or a hotel?
    It was a small hotel in the South West of England, but it contained many elements of the typical English B&B proprietor. I've stayed in many English B&Bs and while there are those proprietors who couldn't do enough for you, there are also many who seem to have thought 'Fawlty Towers' was a training video.


    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 438
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: B&b

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    It was a small hotel in the South West of England, but it contained many elements of the typical English B&B proprietor. I've stayed in many English B&Bs and while there are those proprietors who couldn't do enough for you, there are also many who seem to have thought 'Fawlty Towers' was a training video.
    Thanks Coffa. Are you serious about the last part? I find it funny(what you
    wrote), but that is because I haven't had to deal with them.

    I liked Manuel (and of course John Cleese), and I was so suprised to
    find out that he is actually a British actor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •