• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The secretary of the firm need to make an introduction of the company and herself.

1) The secretary of the firm need to make an introduction of the company and herself when answering call, therefore she needs to be familliar with the introduction script/line.

2) The secretary of the firm need to introduce herself and the company when answering call, therefore she needs to have an introduction script/line.

Are the above sentences correct? I am not sure if there is such a terminology call introduction script/line. For example: Hi, good morning, this ABC firm this Aly speaking, how can I help you today?
    What is that script called?

Thanks for helping.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The secretary of the firm need to make an introduction of the company and herself

Quote Originally Posted by Jit833 View Post
    1) The secretary of the firm needs to make an introduction of the company and herself when answering a call, therefore she needs to be familliar with the introduction script/line.

2) The secretary of the firm needs to introduce herself and the company when answering a call, therefore she needs to have an introduction script/line.

Are the above sentences correct? I am not sure if there is such a terminology call introduction script/line. For example: Hi, good morning, this ABC firm this Aly speaking, how can I help you today?
    What is that script called?

Thanks for helping.
    Please see my additions in red. Neither of your examples are very natural. Receptionists don't "introduce" themselves or their company when they answer the phone. They "identify" themselves. In fact, I'm not sure that receptionists do that in the UK. They normally only say the name of the company.

I wouldn't use "Hi" in a formal situation. "Good morning/afternoon/evening. ABC Limited. How can I help you?"
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The secretary of the firm need to make an introduction of the company and herself

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    How can I help you?"
    Or, as many of them have been trained to say these days, "How may I help you?".

Odessa Dawn is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Or, as many of them have been trained to say these days, "How may I help you?".

How may I help you? and How can I help you?; How can I serve you?; May I help you?; What Can I do for you?In what way can I serve you? (Usually said by store clerks and food service personnel. The first question is the most polite, and the last is the least polite.) Waiter: How can I help you? Sue: I'm not ready to order yet. Clerk: May I help you? Jane: I'm looking for a gift for my aunt.
    How may I help you? - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

To be honest with you, I donít understand why the word "May" has been underlined? Having checked the Free Dictionary and found that "How may I help you"? is the most polite question. So, apologize for being curious, but as you know that I do live in environment where English is rarely spoken. As a result, this forum is the only place where I can ask questions and get your insightful, definitive answers. Thank you for being generous and patient.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

It's simply that few native speakers naturally say 'How may I help you?' What we say naturally in English is 'Can I help you?'

Jit833 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Please see my additions in red. Neither of your examples are very natural. Receptionists don't "introduce" themselves or their company when they answer the phone. They "identify" themselves. In fact, I'm not sure that receptionists do that in the UK. They normally only say the name of the company.I wouldn't use "Hi" in a formal situation. "Good morning/afternoon/evening. ABC Limited. How can I help you?"
    Thanks for replying. They "identify" themselves. Can I say company and self indentify script?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jit833 View Post
    Thanks for replying. They "identify" themselves. Can I say company and self indentify script?

No. That is extremely unnatural.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

You could say 'the phone-answering protocol'.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Or the "telephone-answering script", or "script for use when answering the phone". However, I would say that the simple lines "Good morning. How can I help you?" don't really qualify as a script.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, though, I like it when the person says their name. "ABC Company. This is Mary Ellen. How can I help you?"

When they do that, I always greet them back by name. "Hello Mary Ellen. Could you please connect me to Archibald Leach?"
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast