• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The secretary of the firm need to make an introduction of the company and herself

I find the name-giving part a little over-familiar. I have no need for the receptionist's name unless, at the end of the call, he/she has done a particularly good or bad job and I wish to report that fact back to the company.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The secretary of the firm need to make an introduction of the company and herself

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I find the name-giving part a little over-familiar. I have no need for the receptionist's name u.
    I agree. It's also pretty pointless, as I don't catch it anyway. Still, that's the way it is these days. Those of us old enough to remember Archibald Leach just have to accept it.

SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A Fish Called Wanda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought you were referring to John Cleese's character in this movie. I guess that was a joke I didn't get until now.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe this to be an American/British cultural difference.

My husband works in retail and it's really disheartening the way some poeple act as though the people taking care of them (whether in a shop, a bank, a restaurant, the garage, etc.) are automatons without any humanity. Sometimes patrons won't even look you in the eye - you exist solely to wait on them. Then there are other people who do recognize that you are, in fact, a fellow member of their species. I don't mean you become best buds, get invited to dinner, or get a Christmas card. But for the time you interact, you are treated as a human. Using the person's name is one way to show you recognize they are a person, not a robot and not your servant. I've watched my husband, time after time, greet the salesperson or counterperson by name (they usually have on a nametag) and have seen the effect it has on the encounter. I do realize that this would be overly famliar in other nations, but in the US, it establishes rapport. "Oh wow! She treats me like I'm a human being."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it must be an American/British thing. My mum has the habit of reading the name on a nametag and then saying "Thanks very much, Louise" (or whatever name!), and she says the name very pointedly as if to say "Ooooh, look at me, I noticed your name!" It makes me cringe.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I think it must be an American/British thing. My mum has the habit of reading the name on a nametag and then saying "Thanks very much, Louise" (or whatever name!), and she says the name very pointedly as if to say "Ooooh, look at me, I noticed your name!" It makes me cringe.
    If my mother did that, I would never go shopping with her. I hate people who hardly know me bandying my name about as if they were my best friend, and I would not dream of using other people's names unless they had been introduced to me, albeit very informally.

I have been known to make the occasional comment in this forum that is not intended to be taken seriously, but I was very serious in that first paragraph.

SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of times I hear from a waitress "if you need anything, my name is Sue." One at least one occasion I have asked what their name was if I didn't need anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2