• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The secretary of the firm need to make an introduction of the company and herself

I find the name-giving part a little over-familiar. I have no need for the receptionist's name unless, at the end of the call, he/she has done a particularly good or bad job and I wish to report that fact back to the company.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The secretary of the firm need to make an introduction of the company and herself

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I find the name-giving part a little over-familiar. I have no need for the receptionist's name u.
    I agree. It's also pretty pointless, as I don't catch it anyway. Still, that's the way it is these days. Those of us old enough to remember Archibald Leach just have to accept it.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

SoothingDave is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A Fish Called Wanda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought you were referring to John Cleese's character in this movie. I guess that was a joke I didn't get until now.

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe this to be an American/British cultural difference.

My husband works in retail and it's really disheartening the way some poeple act as though the people taking care of them (whether in a shop, a bank, a restaurant, the garage, etc.) are automatons without any humanity. Sometimes patrons won't even look you in the eye - you exist solely to wait on them. Then there are other people who do recognize that you are, in fact, a fellow member of their species. I don't mean you become best buds, get invited to dinner, or get a Christmas card. But for the time you interact, you are treated as a human. Using the person's name is one way to show you recognize they are a person, not a robot and not your servant. I've watched my husband, time after time, greet the salesperson or counterperson by name (they usually have on a nametag) and have seen the effect it has on the encounter. I do realize that this would be overly famliar in other nations, but in the US, it establishes rapport. "Oh wow! She treats me like I'm a human being."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it must be an American/British thing. My mum has the habit of reading the name on a nametag and then saying "Thanks very much, Louise" (or whatever name!), and she says the name very pointedly as if to say "Ooooh, look at me, I noticed your name!" It makes me cringe.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I think it must be an American/British thing. My mum has the habit of reading the name on a nametag and then saying "Thanks very much, Louise" (or whatever name!), and she says the name very pointedly as if to say "Ooooh, look at me, I noticed your name!" It makes me cringe.
    If my mother did that, I would never go shopping with her. I hate people who hardly know me bandying my name about as if they were my best friend, and I would not dream of using other people's names unless they had been introduced to me, albeit very informally.

I have been known to make the occasional comment in this forum that is not intended to be taken seriously, but I was very serious in that first paragraph.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

SoothingDave is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of times I hear from a waitress "if you need anything, my name is Sue." One at least one occasion I have asked what their name was if I didn't need anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12