Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If you find any mistakes in these two sentences, please let me know. I think "proposed her" should be corrected to "proposed to her" in 2.

kk221)
1. He took a very brave chance to propose his love to her. Now? They have five children.
2. After hesitating for a long time, I proposed her but she showed me the cold shoulder.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

1. He took a very brave chance to propose his love to her. Now? They have five children.
2. After hesitating for a long time, I proposed her but she showed me the cold shoulde
r.

(1)
– For me, "took a brave chance" is not idiomatic.
– You don't "propose your love", "profess" can work, but here I would use "declare".
– The last section might work as spoken dialogue, although "And now?" might be more usual. Without knowing the broader context I don't see the need for a question.
Some possibilities:
"He took a big chance declaring his love for her. Now, they have five children!"
"He took a brave gamble declaring his love for her. Now, they have five children!"
"He bravely took a chance and declared his love for her. Now, they have five children!"

(2)
– "… I proposed to her …"
– In my experience, by far the most common form is to "give the cold shoulder".
So: "After hesitating for a long time, I proposed to her but she gave me the cold shoulder".

Status
Not open for further replies.