Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
"During our study we discovered two new species: Hydnum ovoideisporum and Hydnum vesterholtii, which belong to a genus commonly known as 'ox tongue'. Although many of this species' mushrooms are consumed in many parts of the world, paradoxically there have been few recent serious studies that attempt to clarify what species exist and the differences between them," as explained by Ibai Olariaga Ibarguren, lead researcher of the study conducted from the University of the Basque Country.

Two new species of mushroom found in the Iberian Peninsula, Spain

Shouldn’t we use these instead of this in the above quote?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

"Although many of this species' mushrooms are consumed in many parts of the world..."
This doesn't make sense with either "these" or "this".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

"Although many of this species' mushrooms are consumed in many parts of the world..."
This doesn't make sense with either "these" or "this".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't have a problem with it. 'Species' is singular.
"Many of the mushrooms of this species are consumed in many parts of the world."
However, the species would have to have sub-species, varieties or cultivars, otherwise you couldn't have "many mushrooms of this species".
I believe they actually mean "Many [species] of this genus of mushroom ..." or, as you say, "Many of these species of mushrooms ..."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I assumed they were referring back to the two new species that have recently been discovered, mentioned in the very first sentence. If that is the case, then "Many of these species' mushrooms are eaten ..." would be grammatically correct as far as "this/these" is concerned. However, I don't see the need for it to be possessive. I would have said "Many mushrooms from these species are eaten ...", as long as they mean that a large number of mushrooms belonging to those two newly-discovered species are eaten ...

Status
Not open for further replies.