[Essay] I need to know if my thesis is strong enough.. please give me useful feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

becflan3912

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=&quot]“The Fall of the House of Usher” by Edgar Allen Poe is no doubt a true Gothic horror classic, with is chilling background and details, and equally chilling characters. It has been read and appreciated for generations, and has become a main stay in the teaching of American literature. The story only has three main characters that seem to be nothing more than what we see out right. When we take a deeper look into these characters, however; we find that they are far more complex, in their purpose and creation, than they initially appear. Poe doesn’t just use his brilliant crafting of setting and atmosphere to from these characters and their qualities; he also manages to do this in the describing and use of the characters and their actions themselves. [/FONT]

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
“The Fall of the House of Usher” by Edgar Allen Poe is no doubt a true Gothic horror classic, with is chilling background and details, and equally chilling characters. It has been read and appreciated for generations, and has become a main stay in the teaching of American literature. The story only has three main characters that seem to be nothing more than what we see out right. When we take a deeper look into these characters, however; we find that they are far more complex, in their purpose and creation, than they initially appear. Poe doesn’t just use his brilliant crafting of setting and atmosphere to from these characters and their qualities; he also manages to do this in the describing and use of the characters and their actions themselves.
Whether it's adequate depends on whether your thesis is for a term paper or your PhD. It looks good enough for the former.
You might want to fix the bits I've marked in red.

becflan3912

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Its just for my midterm English 2310 essay. I get the spelling errors but can you please explain what is wrong with main stay and out right. I'm really not that good with grammar sometimes so I would really appreciate it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Its just for my midterm English 2310 essay. I get the spelling errors but can you please explain what is wrong with main stay and out right. I'm really not that good with grammar sometimes so I would really appreciate it.
If you're using 'main stay' and 'out right' to mean 'mainstay' and 'outright' respectively, I think you should spell them that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.