Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I would like to know whether there is a difference between these two sentences or not. In other words, is there any difference between present simple and Future simple when I use Hope?:

1- I hope he will get well soon.
2-I hope he gets well soon.

Secondly, Does these sentences sound natural according to what I want to say?

1- I hope you enjoyed the film ( you may enjoy it)
2- I hope to see you soon OR I hope we meet soon.

Lastly, How is Hopefully I've heard that 'It is a fairly recent usage in British English, and some people consider it incorrect.'

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say "I hope he gets well soon."

If the person has already seen the movie (maybe you recommended it): I hope you enjoyed it.
If the person has not yet seent it: I hope you enjoy it.

The whole "hopefully" thing is another issue. Its traditional usage is something like "I waited hopefully by the phone" -- it descrbes how you waited.

It has become quite common to now use it to modify an entire sentence with the meaning of "It is to be hoped that..." -- Hopefully, he will come soon. Hopefully, it will all work out for the best. Some people do consider this incorrect (I'm sure the same people who think "It was really fun" is horrific English think so), but they are fighting a lost cause. It is accepted by all but the most traditional English speakers these days.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well, thanks a lot for your well clarification. But unfortunately, I still don't get why did you choose 'I hope he gets well' instead of 'I hope he will get well'?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, thanks a lot for your well clarification. But unfortunately, I still don't get why did you choose 'I hope he gets well' instead of 'I hope he will get well'?
Probably because HOPE is usually followed by a present tense even when the situation hoped for is a future one. After HOPE, 'will' seems usually to imply some sort of volition:

I hope he drives me to the airport. - I hope that this is what is going to happen.
I hope that he will drive me to the airport. The hope here is likely to be for his willingness to drive me.

Last edited:

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
what does impyy mean? do you mean imply?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.