Cinema is a completely subjective issue, which may suit to your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

Does this sentence sound natural?

*I strongly believe that cinema is a completely subjective issue, which may suit to your personal opinions, and not to the others.

Also,

*if you want a snack during the film, you are not allowed to pause it - and then you will have to miss a part of it to make a trip to the concession stand.

The dash here should be a dash or a comma?

Last edited:

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I reworked your sentences. I'm not sure if I fully understood what you were trying to say, but I gave it my best shot:

"I strongly believe what constitutes good cinema is an entirely subjective issue. One movie may suit your tastes, but not another's."

"If you want a snack during the film, you are not allowed to pause it; you'll have to miss part of it to make a trip to the concession stand."

I'm honestly not sure if there any hard and fast rules on the use of dashes and semi-colons. To me, they represent a pause between two complete ideas that are closely related, if that makes any sense. A comma and conjunction don't seem appropriate here. It makes it sound like a run-on sentence. You could just put a period and it would be fine.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I mean the advantages and disadvantages suit to you, and not to the others.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what do you mean 'Put a period'?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm sorry but I don't understand what do you mean 'Put a period'?
Use a period (AmE) ot full stop (BrE). It's the little dot that comes at the end of a sentence.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well, I want to say 'Cinema is a completely subjective issue whose disadvantages may suit to your personal opinions , and not to the others'

'You must contend with huge crowds and long queues which may diminish you pleasure of seeing a new film which is on the other hand an advantage too'

Am I using On the other hand here correctly?

'Spend on studying' or 'Spend studying'?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.