Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It looks as if mrghd may be getting near the end of his project of translating Pimp into Hungarian. We haven't had any new questions for a while now. I've had to resort to The Times crossword, much less fun. :cry:

But I've found a bit of fun in running mrghd's passages through the Advanced Text Analyser, and the results have severely damaged not only my self-respect, but my respect for my colleagues as well. The analyser consistently advises me that Slim's text contains almost no hard words, and those of us who find it difficult to understand are barely literate. Shame on all of us!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Shame on you! I understood every word of 'Pimp'. I didn't say so at the time, because I didn't want to show you all up.

It was one of the most interesting books about the cultivation of freesias that I have ever read.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It was one of the most interesting books about the cultivation of freesias that I have ever read.

..One look at that bitch's quivering, pouting petals, and I knew she was hot for pollination. "Get ready for the trip of a lifetime, Ho", I hissed, as I ripped away her tattered sepals; "Daddy's gonna take you to the end of the allotment and back!" She screamed when she saw my stamen coming at her, but her carpels were grabbing for me as I ....

The screens, nurse! The screens.....

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It looks as if mrghd may be getting near the end of his project of translating Pimp into Hungarian. We haven't had any new questions for a while now. I've had to resort to The Times crossword, much less fun. :cry:

But I've found a bit of fun in running mrghd's passages through the Advanced Text Analyser, and the results have severely damaged not only my self-respect, but my respect for my colleagues as well. The analyser consistently advises me that Slim's text contains almost no hard words, and those of us who find it difficult to understand are barely literate. Shame on all of us!

Hey, there's nothing wrong with being a jive sucka. Not everyone's cut out for the Slim Pimpin' lifestyle.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Slim's texts contain very few hard words, but many hard phrases. I'm afraid the analyser is well off spotting hard phrases, because they're dated regional slang phrases. It uses many standard reading difficulty tests, but they all say that a short word is not a hard word- the problem with Slim is the combinations, which is new territory.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It was interesting to discover (gradually) how fond Slim was of word play. His remoteness in time and culture is obvious, but that love of word play is also a major factor in making him difficult to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.