• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Failed to post

It took me so incredibly long to type a comment on this [reputable] device only to be informed that something expired. I wouldn't insist on the value of my writing but have to notice that it's not particularly user-friendly.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Failed to post

When you log in, click on Remember Me and you won't be logged out until you choose to. If you don't choose this option, you will be logged out automatically after a certain period of time for security reasons, so that someone who leaves the account open on a public computer gets switched off.

This requires cookies, so check they're enabled. When you log out, they will be deleted.

Esgaleth is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know that. Every time I visit the site I get logged in automatically, the 'Remember Me' optioned was chosen long ago, cookies enabled and I don't log out because I am on my personal 'computer'. It was not my first comment here. I was using the mobile version because it allows better options for editing and still it took me quite a while to type the comment. To end up with a blank page was rather discouraging, to say the least, but probably that's how it was supposed to be.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't get the mobile version to "Remember Me". It only works on my laptop. I always have to log in again whenever I go onto the mobile version. Could that be the problem/glitch?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I can't get the mobile version to "Remember Me". It only works on my laptop. I always have to log in again whenever I go onto the mobile version. Could that be the problem/glitch?
    I don't know what could be the problem. I do not need to log in every time I visit the site on this Tablet but editing on the full version site is really gruelling.
    That's why I had to switch to the mobile version and a great deal of my last comments were posted this way. I don't know what went wrong then but I am sure I was not doing anything new or extraordinary. I assume, it might be a good idea to type a comment in some other programme and then paste it here but I doubt my comments are worth that time and effort.
    Thanks for caring anyway. :)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Esgaleth View Post
    I don't know what could be the problem. I do not need to log in every time I visit the site on this Tablet but editing on the full version site is really gruelling.
    That's why I had to switch to the mobile version and a great deal of my last comments were posted this way. I don't know what went wrong then but I am sure I was not doing anything new or extraordinary. I assume, it might be a good idea to type a comment in some other programme and then paste it here but I doubt my comments are worth that time and effort.
    Thanks for caring anyway. :)
    Everyone's comments are worth time and effort and it is very unfortunate when any website times you out for any reason before something posts. I have the same issue sometimes with my email program.
    Writing comments in another program and copying and pasting it is possible, but the formatting frequently gets messed up when you do that.

My suggestion is: Start typing your reply. After a paragraph or so, post it. Then hit "Edit Post" and type another couple of paragraphs and hit Save. You can keep going back in and editing over and over again until your entire post is there. It's a little time-consuming but it's better than losing a very long post.

In your first post in this thread, you said "It took me so incredibly long to type a comment ..." - was it a very long comment, or did it just take you a very long time for some reason? I only ask because there is a 10,000-character limit in any one post. If the character count is over 10,000, it simply won't post.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your suggestions.

No, it was not even close to 10,000 characters. It took so much time mainly because of editing. Since I wanted to reply to certain ideas I thought it would be more understandble to quote only the sentences or phrases I wanted to comment on. I agree, it makes more sense to write several short posts than strugge with a long one.

What I don't really understand is why I can't use the arrow buttons on this site. If I want to correct an error in the beginning of the post, I have to erase everything up to this mistake, correct it and then re-type the whole post once again. This is not the way I post on other sites.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Esgaleth View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions.

No, it was not even close to 10,000 characters. It took so much time mainly because of editing. Since I wanted to reply to certain ideas I thought it would be more understandble to quote only the sentences or phrases I wanted to comment on. I agree, it makes more sense to write several short posts than strugge with a long one.

What I don't really understand is why I can't use the arrow buttons on this site. If I want to correct an error in the beginning of the post, I have to erase everything up to this mistake, correct it and then re-type the whole post once again. This is not the way I post on other sites.
    I'm not sure which arrow buttons you are referring to. On my laptop, when I need to edit something I simply hover over the relevant word and then left-click to place the cursor in the right place. The delete keys all work as they should.
    On the mobile site, I have to hold my finger down on the touch screen for a couple of seconds over the relevant word until it's highlighted, make the relevant amendments and then scroll down the touch screen to put the cursor back where I was.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Esgaleth, what set-up are you using?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm not sure which arrow buttons you are referring to. On my laptop, when I need to edit something I simply hover over the relevant word and then left-click to place the cursor in the right place. The delete keys all work as they should.
    On the mobile site, I have to hold my finger down on the touch screen for a couple of seconds over the relevant word until it's highlighted, make the relevant amendments and then scroll down the touch screen to put the cursor back where I was.
    Yes, that's the usual way I can type on this Tablet. Even more than that - I don't need to type the whole word but onle the first three letters. This little thing is clever enough to understand which word I need grammatically. In a rare case of a typo, the incorrect word is underlined and I am provided with several options to make amendments by clicking on the correct word. It has a touch screen and a dock station that is actually a keyboard with a touchpad so I can control the cursor in three ways but not on this site. I can understand why spell-check is not allowed here but it looks like other other editing options are also blocked. The most dreadful thing is that I can move the cursor only using the backspace button. That's how the full site version works for me. On the mobile version, it was possible to move the cursor with the arrow (Page Up - Page Down - Home - End) buttons. The touch screen works very specifically - it seemingly depends on some space or frame allocated for typing and pretty often doesn't respond at all.

I assume it sounds weird.

@Tdol,
    It's Asus Transformer, Android.
    Last edited by Esgaleth; 07-Mar-2013 at 21:22.