Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello all users!

I would like to check with you that I get the following phrase right.

By the phrase I mean "including".

All wiring connections to the board are made by connectors including a connector socket for a remote control unit.

I would like to know if "including" in the sentence above means "together with".

The sentence is taken from a manual regarding A DC Electrical Control System.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If someone substituted "together with" for "including" I would have trouble understanding what the sentence means. It isn't clear why the writer felt it necessary to make specific reference to the socket for a remote control unit. Perhaps he or she just wanted to mention the fact that a remote control exists and chose this slightly awkward and indirect way of doing so.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello all users!

I would like to check with you that I get the following phrase right.

By the phrase I mean "including".

All wiring connections to the board are made by connectors including a connector socket for a remote control unit.

I would like to know if "including" in the sentence above means "together with".

The sentence is taken from a manual regarding A DC Electrical Control System.
It's wrongly used here.
No, 'including' shouldn't be used to mean 'plus'. If the connector socket is a connector, the sentence is right.
"10 connectors including a connector socket" means 10 units total, one of which is the connector socket.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's wrongly used here.
No, 'including' shouldn't be used to mean 'plus'. If the connector socket is a connector, the sentence is right.
"10 connectors including a connector socket" means 10 units total, one of which is the connector socket.

It is bad writing, but it is a type of bad writing that one does run across. It think the firm decided to avoid the expense of employing a technical writer by allowing its technicians to do the writing instead.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It is bad writing, but it is a type of bad writing that one does run across. It think the firm decided to avoid the expense of employing a technical writer by allowing its technicians to do the writing instead.
Yes, one does come across it. That's all the more reason for pointing out that it's wrong.
One day a war will start because of errors like this!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's wrongly used here.

I read it as the "connector socket for the remote control unit" is indeed another "connector."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I read it as the "connector socket for the remote control unit" is indeed another "connector."
I'm not sure what you mean by "another connector". Do you mean "10 connections including a connector socket" is 11 items to you?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure what you mean by "another connector". Do you mean "10 connections including a connector socket" is 11 items to you?

No, ten items. I meant "it is included in the set of things known as 'connectors.'"

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In my opinion, the sense of the phrase would change if a comma were placed before "including". Then, it would mean "plus".

All wiring connections to the board are made by connectors, including a connector socket for a remote control unit.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, "including" doesn't mean "plus."

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I stand corrected. "including" doesn't mean "plus." This is what "including" means: together with, along with, coupled with, to mention but a few.

including synonyms | Synonyms for including

Does the meaning of "including" in question change, depending on a comma or lack of it in the sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.