Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
What does it mean "to jerk the handle"? Thank you.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What does it mean "to jerk the handle"? Thank you.

To pull in a quick movement.

[COLOR=#878787 !important]Noun[/COLOR]

1. A quick, sharp, sudden movement.

Instrukcija4

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Thank you. But what would it mean in the sentence:

She wedged herself against the Bentley door and jerked the handle for the millionth time.

??

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

She wedged herself against the Bentley door and jerked the handle for the millionth time.

??

I would imagine that she pulled the handle with quick, sharp, sudden movements.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Please note that this context would have been more helpful in post #1.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She is inside a car, she has moved herself to a position as close as possible to the door and is pulling the internal door handle with a short jerky movement. She has already done this many times (a million is probably an exaggeration).

We don't have the rest of the context but I would guess the woman is scared and is locked/trapped inside the car and is frantically trying to get out. The fact that she has wedged herself as close to the door as possible suggests to me that there is someone or something in the car that is frightening her.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
She is inside a car, she has moved herself to a position as close as possible to the door and is pulling the internal door handle with a short jerky movement. She has already done this many times (a million is probably an exaggeration).

We don't have the rest of the context but I would guess the woman is scared and is locked/trapped inside the car and is frantically trying to get out. The fact that she has wedged herself as close to the door as possible suggests to me that there is someone or something in the car that is frightening her.

Or she's leaning against the outside of the car, frantically trying to get it open.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or she's leaning against the outside of the car, frantically trying to get it open.

That is a possibility I hadn't considered, but only because I don't feel it's natural to "wedge yourself" against something from the outside. You could be right though.
Having said that, wedging herself against it from the outside may well thwart her attempts to get it open. If she is leaning her entire body weight against the car door, it probably won't open even if she successfully activates the door handle.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That is a possibility I hadn't considered, but only because I don't feel it's natural to "wedge yourself" against something from the outside. You could be right though.
Having said that, wedging herself against it from the outside may well thwart her attempts to get it open. If she is leaning her entire body weight against the car door, it probably won't open even if she successfully activates the door handle.

Well, I thought it more correct, because 'jerking' normally involves pulling. From my experiences at least. So that action inside the car, would prove just as futile, as if she was leaning against the door.

Just my thought. It obviously requires much more context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You pull the internal handle of a car door too! At least if all her weight is against the door from the inside, if and when the handle finally works and the door flies open outwards, her weight will be pushing in the right direction and will help the door open even faster.

The way I'm imagining it, she's not pulling the car door, she's pulling the small handle on the inner panel of the door to open the door from the inside.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You pull the internal handle of a car door too! At least if all her weight is against the door from the inside, if and when the handle finally works and the door flies open outwards, her weight will be pushing in the right direction and will help the door open even faster.

The way I'm imagining it, she's not pulling the car door, she's pulling the small handle on the inner panel of the door to open the door from the inside.

Yeah, the way I'm thinking of it is she's trying to pry open the door from the outside, and using the side of the car as leverage...

Too many possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.