Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I am reading the below sentences.

Odo is an old man. A youth is visiting his house. Below is what he is thinking when saw the youth.

'Shifty, Odo considered, and dirty-looking. The shoes he wore, once white, the kind of sports shoes you saw about these days, were filthy now. His black trousers hung shapelessly; his neck was bare, no sign of a shirt beneath the red sweater that had some kind of animal depicted on it.'

1. Red sweater: I went to internet and saw it is some kind of red garment. To me, it looks very similar to something call Pullover but a bit thinner. Please someone explain the difference between two. One use in winter and another in summer?
2. neck was bare: means no tie?

thanks for your help!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE: sweater = jumper = pullover.

They're pretty much identical.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A sweater can have many shapes. It is a top and it's knit, but aside from that, it can have a v-neck, a round neck, a turleneck, etc. It can have buttons or be a pullover.

Quang Hai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In BrE: sweater = jumper = pullover.

They're pretty much identical.

Not really since I saw Women red sweater there are buttons in front of it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not really since I saw Women red sweater there are buttons in front of it.

So are you telling me then that all sweaters have buttons? OK then, well, if you already knew the answer, I don't know why you asked the question.

I will repeat, since clearly you didn't believe me the first time:

In BrE: Sweater = jumper = pullover.

Quang Hai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
So are you telling me then that all sweaters have buttons? OK then, well, if you already knew the answer, I don't know why you asked the question.

I will repeat, since clearly you didn't believe me the first time:

In BrE: Sweater = jumper = pullover.

Dear emsr2d2, I hope that you are not upsetting :). I do not intend to make you upset at all. I also did not state that all sweater has button. I only saw some women sweater has. Well, certainly I do not know the answer. What I am asking is in what season people wear the sweater and when they wear pullover. As non-native english speaker, I thought that sweater is related to summer ( sweat) while pullover is in winter. But it seems not :). thanks for your help

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A knitted garment with buttons at the front is normally called a cardigan in BrE. For me, personally, a sweater is thicker than a pullover, though my 'woolly pullie' (pullover) in the services was thick and heavy. For me, personally, 'jumper' is a slightly dated word that can refer to either a sweater or a pullover.

I have stressed the word 'personally' because other people have different ideas. There are no absolute answers here, and I think that ems's "sweater = jumper = pullover" is as helpful a summary as you will find for BrE usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.