Is "if I good remember" sentence correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,
From time to time I can hear this sentence: "If I good remember...". I find it incorrect, I use "If I remember well.." in such situation.
Could you tell me please if my intuition in this matter is right? Is "If I good remember..." sentence used by native speakers?
Regards
Wojtek

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is "If I good remember..." sentence used by native speakers?
No. We say, "If I remember correctly" or "If my memory serves me (right/correctly)".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Also, people of a certain age say 'If I remember aright' [sic - one of the many 'a-' words that have passed on, leaving only a few stragglers like away and ajar.

I think that, in Br English, the word 'well' in the context of memory is more commonly used as a reinforcer of accuracy: 'I well remember the time in the sixties when I first heard the song If Your Memory Serves You Well and thought "That's a funny use of 'well' - I suppose it's American".

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
:up: Also, people of a certain age say 'If I remember aright'
I do. I refrained from mentioning it lest a certain moderator (who shall remain nameless; just think Star Wars) remind me once again of my advancing years. She'll probably come in anyway to pick up my 'lest' and subjunctive 'remember'. :cry:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you sure you're not hearing "If I could ​remember ..."?

I say "If I remember rightly ..." - the phrase used by members of both sides of my family and so the one I grew up hearing.

You're OK, 5jj - I entirely approve of the use of "lest" and frequently use it myself. Your advancing years (your words, not mine) only serve to add to your wisdom. :-D

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
5jj & BobK,
Thank you for your tips, I appreciate it.
One more question: I changed my original sentence "If I remember well" to "if I well remember". Would you consider this sentence as proper?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Neither of them is natural.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Are you sure you're not hearing "If I could ​remember ..."?

I'm sure, I heard it many times from non-native speakers.

5jj - Your advancing years (your words, not mine) only serve to add to your wisdom. :-D

Thanks for writing this, I wanted to write similar thing but my English is not good enough....

Coming back to "if I good remember" : is it at least understandable to be communicative for native speakers?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
5jj & BobK,
Thank you for your tips, I appreciate it.
One more question: I changed my original sentence "If I remember well" to "if I well remember". Would you consider this sentence as proper?

We use "well" with "remember" in statements.

Do you remember that little hotel we used to stay at on Corsica?
Ah, I remember it well.

Do you remember the first car I bought?
I don't remember it well - I vaguely recall that it was green.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"If I recall correctly" or "If I remember correctly" is so common that "IIRC" is understood as an abbreviation in "chat" speak.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sure, I heard it many times from non-native speakers.

Thanks for writing this, I wanted to write similar thing but my English is not good enough....

Coming back to "if I good remember" : is it at least understandable to be communicative for native speakers?

If you said "If I good remember" to me, I would assume that I had misheard and that you meant to say "If I could remember". If you said "If I remember good ..." I would understand perfectly but I would know you were a non-native speaker.

I would avoid "If I good remember" if I were you. Forget it!

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"If I recall correctly" or "If I remember correctly" is so common that "IIRC" is understood as an abbreviation in "chat" speak.

good example. I asked because the target in polish education is to be communicative and not necessarly correct. So be prepare to hear the sentences like "if I good remember" more often (don't blame me, I'm not an English teacher)

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If you said "If I good remember" to me, I would assume that I had misheard and that you meant to say "If I could remember". If you said "If I remember good ..." I would understand perfectly but I would know you were a non-native speaker.

I would avoid "If I good remember" if I were you. Forget it!

thanks for this, now I know how you feel when you hear the sentence from the topic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for this, now I know how you feel when you hear the sentence from the topic.

Good example. I asked because the target in Polish education is to be communicative and not necessarily correct. So be prepared to hear [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] sentences like "if I good remember" more often (don't blame me, I'm not an English teacher).

Please see the amendments I have made to your last two posts, shown above in red. Remember that you must start every new sentence with a capital letter and end every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.

We may well hear "I good remember" more often. We will continue to be puzzled by it and then correct it when we realise what the person is trying to say.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I asked because the target in [STRIKE]p[/STRIKE]Polish education is to be communicative and not necessarily correct. So be prepared to hear the sentences like "if I good remember" more often
The problem with that particular example is that incorrect English impedes communication.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Please see the amendments I have made to your last two posts, shown above in red. Remember that you must start every new sentence with a capital letter and end every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.

OK guys, you proved that you are teachers, no doubts :)

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Were you testing us?

Not at all, I wrote it instead of writing "sorry for my errors". Now I have to write: sorry that it was not funny :-(. But at least I tried.
In general I'm profoundly grateful for learning how to use correctly "if I remember correctly" sentence and avoid "Polish English" language.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't recommend the Shakespearean 'An I mistake me not'. (Still less the IRC version AIMMN. :))

b

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
wojtek_himself, you're right, the education system has changed in that respect. I remember when I had English at school it was mostly about grammar, writing and being correct. Result? Students wouldn't speak for fear of making a mistake or by the time they had come up with a decent sentence the audience were snoring.

That's why I think these days they're putting more stress on actually having people talk and focus on being communicative. The sad thing is, that some take being communicative as the ultimate goal. To me, it's a start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.