Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
What does THREAD mean? Here in the forum.

I have looked at it in dictionaries, yet I haven't found it. Would you mind to answer me, please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A thread is the chronological succession of a question and the comments that people post after it. When someone on the forum wants to ask a new question, they open a new thread and then people post comments on it. It makes a thread (like a piece of string) of comments.

See definition 4b here.

engloshy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
ha! is it figurative meaning?

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
ha! is it figurative meaning?

Not as far as I am aware. Definition 4b above gives the exact definition for a string of posts on a website or news forum.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Not as far as I am aware. Definition 4b above gives the exact definition for a string of posts on a website or news forum.

I wonder if it doesn't have a relationship to the figurative definition 2c ("lost the thread of the argument"). It would be interesting to know how the terms "post" (as opposed to "reply") and "thread" achieved consensus and what that process was like.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When a new area of technology, etc, requires a lot of vocabulary, people fall back on what they know. Post and thread seem logical, but spam comes from a (not particularly funny IMO) Monty Python sketch. Dialect words can resurface at times like these- you can find them in both Australian English and drug language, both areas where new experiences required terms for new circumstances. Consensus is built through usage- prepositions, for instance, are often unsure at first, but eventually one wins as consistency is a good thing. When things are changing rapidly and you need new terms, to look around for what you can remember and if others agree, they take hold. Forums offer linked messages in a new way- thread seemed a good term as there's a connection between the messages. It took off and won.

Status
Not open for further replies.