• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When the results were in

Does this "in" mean "come out"? I've never seen such usage of "in".

mo40)In one experiment, 49 college students were asked to sit at a cluttered cubicle, a tidy cubicle, or one that was inbetween.
    After sitting at the desk, the volunteers were asked to rate on a scale of one to nine how well a series of statements fit them: “It upsets me to go into complicated situations,” “I would like to simplify my life as much as I can,” “I would like to keep things simple,”
    and “I am bothered by complicated things.” Next the volunteers were given a test in which they needed to sort 33 products into groups — the volunteers had to come up with an organizing principle themselves. When the results were in, it was clear that people sitting at
    messy desks came up with much simpler organizing principles. They were also the ones who scored high on questions like, “I would like to simplify my life as much as I can.”

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When the results were in

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Does this "in" mean "come out"? I've never seen such usage of "in".

mo40)In one experiment, 49 college students were asked to sit at a cluttered cubicle, a tidy cubicle, or one that was inbetween.
    After sitting at the desk, the volunteers were asked to rate on a scale of one to nine how well a series of statements fit them: “It upsets me to go into complicated situations,” “I would like to simplify my life as much as I can,” “I would like to keep things simple,”
    and “I am bothered by complicated things.” Next the volunteers were given a test in which they needed to sort 33 products into groups — the volunteers had to come up with an organizing principle themselves. When the results were in, it was clear that people sitting at
    messy desks came up with much simpler organizing principles. They were also the ones who scored high on questions like, “I would like to simplify my life as much as I can.”
    'In' never means 'come out'. "When the votes out ..." come means "When the votes are released to the public."
    "When the votes are in ..." means "When the votes are received by the counters." When all the votes are counted, or at least enough for a result, the results are in.
    It's what we say.