• Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default no-noes

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    no-no

noun [C usually singular]

/ˈnəʊ.nəʊ/ /ˈnoʊ.noʊ/ informal

Definition

› something that is thought to be unsuitable or unacceptable: Total nudity is still a definite no-no on most of Europe's beaches.
    no-no noun - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

no-no (nn)n. pl. no-noes Informal 1. Something unacceptable or impermissible: "Even though his company wasn't the one involved in the case, what he did is considered a definite no-no" (Mike Royko).
    2. A social blunder; a faux pas.
    no-nos - definition of no-nos by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    I found that the plural form of no-no is no-noes. Question: Why the second no takes the plural form not the first one? Also, I thought it should be nos-nos. Do we have other words that follow the same pattern? What is the rule behind that?

riquecohen is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: no-noes

I doubt that there is a rule for making this very informal expression plural. Some dictionaries, other than those you've cited, show the plural to be no-nos or no-no's. See, for example, Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary and Dictionary.com.

Odessa Dawn is online now Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I doubt that there is a rule for making this very informal expression plural. Some dictionaries, other than those you've cited, show the plural to be no-nos or no-no's. See, for example, Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary and Dictionary.com.
    noľno

noun \ˈnō-ˌnō\
    plural noľno's or noľnos

Definition of NO-NO

: something unacceptable or forbidden

No-no - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    noľno /ˈnoʊˌnoʊ/ noun
    plural noľno's or noľnos
    [count] informal 1 : something that people are not supposed to do because it is not proper, safe, fashionable, etc.
    ▪ Forgetting to introduce your guests to one another is a big no-no when hosting a party. ▪ Sharing prescription medication with other people is a definite no-no. ▪ fashion no-no's

Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

no-no

[noh-noh] Show IPA
    noun, plural no-nos, no-no's. Informal. anything that is forbidden or not advisable, as because of being improper or unsafe: If you want to lose weight, rich desserts are a no-no.
    No-no | Define No-no at Dictionary.com
    Thank you, Henry, so much. I followed your instruction and checked some dictionaries. My question is: Do we have a rule in English that we always pluralize the second part of compound word such as no-no not the first part?

Calis is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    I found that the plural form of no-no is no-noes. Question: Why does the second no takes the plural form not the first one? Also, I thought it should be nos-nos. Do we have other words that follow the same pattern? What is the rule behind that?
    Compound words in English are formed of a descriptive element plus a naming element (in that order), for example birdsong. The naming element is "song" and the description is "bird", which gives a meaning of "song of a bird", which is distinct from songbird, which means "bird that makes song". When compounds are pluralised, the naming element is pluralised, e.g. "police station" > "police stations". In French loanwords, such as "Governor-General" or "court martial", the first word is the naming element, so the pluralisations would be "Governors-General" & "courts-martial".

This aside, "no-no" is a colloquial reduplication, and so the spelling will vary (I hold that the correct way to spell it is "no-no's") but in English it will be seen as a compound and so will follow the rules for compounds when making it plural, i.e. the second element receives the plural.

[Not a teacher]