When "flamboyant" is used to describe a person, what does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugo_Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, all:

I've always wanted to know when "flamboyant" is used to describe a person, what does it mean? Is it derogratory

Which meaning of the following springs to mind when you hear somebody say:"Tom is just...flamboyant."

dictionary meanings:
adjective:
1. elaborate or extravagant; florid; showy
2. rich or brilliant in colour; resplendent
3. exuberant or ostentatious
4. of, denoting, or relating to the French Gothic style of architecture characterized by flamelike tracery and elaborate carving
---------

Of course only the 3rd meaning can be applied to person. But I still have difficulty understanding it. how can "exuberant" be used to describe a person?
Sorry, English is my 2nd language. I'm still learning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, all:

I've always wanted to know when "flamboyant" is used to describe a person, what does it mean? Is it derogratory

Which meaning of the following springs to mind when you hear somebody say:"Tom is just...flamboyant."

dictionary meanings:
adjective:
1. elaborate or extravagant; florid; showy
2. rich or brilliant in colour; resplendent
3. exuberant or ostentatious
4. of, denoting, or relating to the French Gothic style of architecture characterized by flamelike tracery and elaborate carving
---------

Of course only the 3rd meaning can be applied to person. But I still have difficulty understanding it. how can "exuberant" be used to describe a person?
Sorry, English is my 2nd language. I'm still learning.

Definitions 1 and 3 can be applied to people. In my opinion, it is not derogatory in and of itself. It depends on context, tone of voice etc - the speaker can make it sound derogatory, complimentary or neutral.

Hugo_Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks, emsr2d2. But my main difficulty lies in:

when "elaborate", "extravagant", "florid" and "exuberant" are used to describe a person, do these words refer to her/his dressing style or her/her overly showy personality??

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks, emsr2d2. But my main difficulty lies in:

when "elaborate", "extravagant", "florid" and "exuberant" are used to describe a person, do these words refer to her/his dressing style or her/her overly showy personality??
Either or both.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is interesting, though a flamboyant person doesn't have to be decorated with flame-like sculptures! But a crimson silk jacket would work. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.