Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    tom3m is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Post Thanks / Like

    English transgressive?

    Having sat down, she began to cry.
    Having been sold, the slave followed his new master.
    Standing over there, he was watching his ex-wife.

    The examples above should be examples of the so called transgressive (or better - of a translation of them). My question is if there is anything such as transgressive also in English. If there isn't, what do you call the structures in bold above?

    Thank you in advance

  2. #2
    philo2009 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: English transgressive?

    No, the term 'transgressive' is not used in English grammar. The bold type parts are termed participial (or simply 'participle') phrases.

Similar Threads

  1. [Tdol's Blog] English Teacher X Guide To Teaching English Abroad
    By Tdol in forum Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2012, 17:20
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-Sep-2012, 19:44
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2012, 04:38
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-Jan-2009, 14:17
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2004, 11:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts