[Vocabulary] first and foremost. I believe this word is so helpful, but I can't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

I would like to know how to use first and foremost in sentences, especially when I want to express advantages and disadvantages.

Can I say: It is my opinion, first and foremost, .........?

Last edited:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You should say, "It is my opinion that, first and foremost,...." so that the "first and foremost" is part of what your opinion is, rather than referring only to the fact that you have an opinion.

Nehushtan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Europe
Re: “First and foremost”

You can also say, “It is my opinion, first and foremost, that ….”

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I'm sorry, Nehushtan, but I don't agree. As I wrote above: if you put it like that, you are saying that the mere fact that you have an opinion about the matter is the most important element of your total statement.

Nehushtan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Europe

As I wrote above: if you put it like that, you are saying that the mere fact that you have an opinion about the matter is the most important element of your total statement.
I don’t agree with that myself. A clause can be modified by putting the modifying phrase before the conjuction “that” as well as after.

• It is my opinion, first and foremost, that Plan A will waste money, and second, that Plan B will save money.
  • It is my opinion that, first and foremost, Plan A will waste money, and second, Plan B will save money.
I don’t see any difference between these two sentences (or what they have to do with the fact that the speaker has an opinion).

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

1. It is my opinion, first and foremost, that Plan A will waste money, and second, that Plan B will save money.
It is my opinion that, first and foremost, Plan A will waste money, and second, Plan B will save money.

I don’t see any difference between these two sentences (or what they have to do with the fact that the speaker has an opinion).
I agree with Grumpy. I think that in #1, 'first and foremost' could appear to go with 'my opinion'.

Nehushtan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Europe

If you wanted “first and foremost” to apply to your having an opinion, it would be better to phrase it this way: “My opinion, first and foremost, is ….”

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I thought "first and foremost" sounded trite when this thread started, and its continued use here only reinforces my opinion.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Good call, SoothingDave. The rest is silence...

Status
Not open for further replies.