Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello!
I'm confused. Can we use these two tenses in one sentence?

Is this one correct:

"And you've always practiced
those desires that changed so fast and choked me." ?

Thank you!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
One does run across such sentences occasionally, and they are intelligible. Example:

John has had a longstanding fear of water, but that changed when he met the beautiful SCUBA instructor.

It is not the best usage. It is better to use the same tense in both clauses.

John has had a longstanding fear of water, but that has changed since he met the beautiful SCUBA instructor.

John had a longstanding fear of water, but that changed when he met the beautiful SCUBA instructor.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I usually agree with what probus writes, but unless this is an AmE/BrE difference, I can't support that that "that has changed since" is a better sentence than his original one.

We have mixed tenses in sentences all the time. I didn't like him when I met him 1999, but I have grown to love him sinse. I started working here in 2003 and will celebrate my 10th anniversary in July. And so on.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I usually agree with what probus writes, but unless this is an AmE/BrE difference, I can't support that that "that has changed since" is a better sentence than his original one.

We have mixed tenses in sentences all the time. I didn't like him when I met him 1999, but I have grown to love him sinse. I started working here in 2003 and will celebrate my 10th anniversary in July. And so on.

No disagreement from me. We happily mix and match tenses all the time.

I have given him a lot of rope in the past, but I'm not going to do so any more.
I used to think so, but I don't any more.

But the question was specifically about the past perfect with the past simple, and I found it very hard to come up with a sentence that that I felt really comfortable with.

There is: He hated broccoli for a long time, but he has learned to like it.

But I think she wants one where the past perfect comes first, as in her example.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In re-reading the first sentence, I think it was the desires that choked as well as changed. Whatever that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.