Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "on" in the underlined mean "continuous"?

st172)We plan our vacations, sometimes as if they are/were the only part of life worth really living/to live. We build up our exceptions/expectations that our time off is going to be the highlight of our year, a saving grace that will make up for all the hassle and appointment/disappointment of our daily lives. However, vacation represents a huge/tiny percentage of our overall lives. Most people spend a week or two on vacation. A rest/The rest of the time it's business as usual. To spend fifty weeks a year planning and longing/to long for the other two is/are a classic example of reversed/circulated priorities, an exercise in almost guaranteed pleasure/frustration. The problem is that, when your primary emphasis is on later, your mind is refilled/removed from the present/future moment. Instead/Instead of discovering joy in daily living, your focus is on how much more fun you'll be having now/later.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. It's just that we always say that the emphasis is "on" something.

The emphasis of this report is on the environmental impact of drilling.
I like bread and I like pasta. However, when I cook, my emphasis is on protein, not carbohydrates.

The piece is talking about people whose primary emphasis is on "later" instead of being on "now".

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have an extra question. This "saving grace" meaning "one advantage from small fry things" seems to have come from "saving= rescue or extricate"+"grace= divine blessing". As it could be the only thing to save your from your boring or tedious life. What do you think?

st172)We plan our vacations, sometimes as if they are/were the only part of life worth really living/to live. We build up our exceptions/expectations that our time off is going to be the highlight of our year, a saving grace that will make up for all the hassle and appointment/disappointment of our daily lives. However, vacation represents a huge/tiny percentage of our overall lives. Most people spend a week or two on vacation. A rest/The rest of the time it's business as usual. To spend fifty weeks a year planning and longing/to long for the other two is/are a classic example of reversed/circulated priorities, an exercise in almost guaranteed pleasure/frustration. The problem is that, when your primary emphasis is on later, your mind is refilled/removed from the present/future moment. Instead/Instead of discovering joy in daily living, your focus is on how much more fun you'll be having now/later.

Status
Not open for further replies.