Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Sheikh_14 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    What I intend to ascertain from this thread is whether it is perfectly acceptable to use the word span when trying to cite an entrance into another area, realm etc.. For instance if a hotel magnate were to make investments in a new locale to expand his empire would it be fair to say that his empire has now "spanned into whatever locale it happens to be, or would it be now spans across. Are either palatable? and if one, or neither is than please try to afford an elucidation of why you have perceived it not to be.

    Another context that comes to mind could be a conversation, for instance, it could be said that "After thoroughly deliberating over realms of interest such as sports their ceaseless conversation spanned into .... (and than you could name any topic, which one it happens to be is immaterial). Span here is endeavouring to give the impression that they are extending into new territory and that any subject than happens to encompass more than it did hitherto.



    Secondly, to conserve the time of both myself and the intelligent gentleman/woman as well as leverage their expertise on the english language I'd like to tie another but shorter question to this thread which is that can a domain be described as an area of responsibility. Thus do departmental duties serve as the domain of its manager?

    My apologies, for appending two disparate questions on one thread but they just happen to be exigent for me at this moment and thus a sufficient answer would bring great relief.

    Thank You in Advance....

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh_14 View Post
    What I intend to ascertain from this thread is whether it is perfectly acceptable to use the word span when trying to cite an entrance into another area, realm etc.. For instance if a hotel magnate were to make investments in a new locale to expand his empire would it be fair to say that his empire has now "spanned into whatever locale it happens to be, or would it be now spans across. Are either palatable? and if one, or neither is than please try to afford an elucidation of why you have perceived it not to be.

    Another context that comes to mind could be a conversation, for instance, it could be said that "After thoroughly deliberating over realms of interest such as sports their ceaseless conversation spanned into .... (and than you could name any topic, which one it happens to be is immaterial). Span here is endeavouring to give the impression that they are extending into new territory and that any subject than happens to encompass more than it did hitherto.



    Secondly, to conserve the time of both myself and the intelligent gentleman/woman as well as leverage their expertise on the english language I'd like to tie another but shorter question to this thread which is that can a domain be described as an area of responsibility. Thus do departmental duties serve as the domain of its manager?

    My apologies, for appending two disparate questions on one thread but they just happen to be exigent for me at this moment and thus a sufficient answer would bring great relief.

    Thank You in Advance....
    After having given what I believe to be adequate consideration of your question, let me say that such a use of 'span' impresses me as neither 'palatable' nor natural. 'Span' is normally used when the two places are already known and established. These places can be spanned by a railway. More commonly, though, I should add, is that 'span' generally refers to the space between the two places that are spanned. For example, a bridge spans a river. You don't span one bank thereof to the other. Note however, that we have been discussing the verb 'span'. The noun is used as you have suggested, eg. "The span of the bridge is 200 metres."

    I turn now to your second, and unrelated, question - namely whether an 'area of responsibility' can be called a 'domain'. To this question I can give an unequivocal 'Yes'. "Teaching and disciplining children is within a teacher's domain of work."

    I hope to have succeeded in reducing your doubts in relation to the two subjects that you have presented to us.

  3. #3
    Sheikh_14 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    However, you do use span when mentioning that a range of features were involved - "their interests span almost all the conventional disciplines" Span also means extends across thus although it is plausible that grammatically the sentences may be flawed but to so is to say that the word doesn't hold any such connotation. For very few words hold just a single meaning and whilst arm span relates to your point the phrase span of control would also relate to mine for it illustrates who happens to be under one's charge. Thus if what is said above is slightly grammatically incorrect than rectify it but saying that such definition does not exist is rather dubious.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh_14 View Post
    However, you do use span when mentioning that a range of features were involved - "their interests span almost all the conventional disciplines" Span also means extends across thus although it is plausible that grammatically the sentences may be flawed but to so is to say that the word doesn't hold any such connotation. For very few words hold just a single meaning and whilst arm span relates to your point the phrase span of control would also relate to mine for it illustrates who happens to be under one's charge. Thus if what is said above is slightly grammatically incorrect than rectify it but saying that such definition does not exist is rather dubious.
    "their interests span almost all the conventional disciplines" - That's right. They go over the whole lot, just as a bridge goes over the whole river. Their interests don't span to the outermost disciplines. You might see it used that way, but it's not the basic meaning. I find it very unnatural to say that something "spans into another area".
    I didn't say that the definition you want doesn't exist. If you reread my post, you'll see that my claims were made cautiously. If you can find the definition you want in a good English dictionary, then I'll have to agree with you that it's correct. That would have no bearing on whether it sounded natural though, which I took to be your question.

  5. #5
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    21,358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    Sheikh_14, please remember that other learners are going to read your posts. While your knowledge of English vocabulary is clearly very good, indeed sometimes impenetrably so, bear in mind that we try to make our posts understandable to as many people as possible. Much of your post was overly flowery and unnecessary. Other learners might have learnt something from this thread but some of them won't have got further than your first paragraph without giving up.

    For example, there is no reason to use phrases like "Please try to afford an elucidation of why you have perceived it not to be". It would have been quite sufficient to say "If you don't think so, please explain why not".
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  6. #6
    Sheikh_14 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    Yes, ill try doing that and in line with your post by "impenetrably" do you mean incomprehensible or without defect. Could you please clarify that. Secondly, would the word crystallize classify as a synonym for clarify?

  7. #7
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh_14 View Post
    by "impenetrably" do you mean incomprehensible or without defect. Could you please clarify that.
    I suspect that ems meant the former. She gave, in her last post, an example of a sentence that would be difficult for many non-native (and some native) speakers to understand. I am not really sure what you mean by 'leverage their expertise'.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  8. #8
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I suspect that ems meant the former. She gave, in her last post, an example of a sentence that would be difficult for many non-native (and some native) speakers to understand. I am not really sure what you mean by 'leverage their expertise'.
    Unfortunately, "leverage their expertise" sounds like standard business-speak.

  9. #9
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,050
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    What does it mean, Dave?

  10. #10
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Use of the word span to denote extending into new realms, territories etc

    A lever can multiply a force. That's the idea behind the business use of "leverage." I didn't say it was very good or clear. Just the opposite in fact. It's using language to make things sound more complex or important than they are.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] When does the word 'what' denote a question?
    By sir_papermate in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Aug-2012, 18:23
  2. How to denote moments in time
    By lo2 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2011, 15:31
  3. [Essay] Much have I traveled in the realms of gold
    By ucef in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Apr-2010, 14:55
  4. Light out for territories?
    By belly_ttt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-May-2008, 16:37
  5. Extending/Extended
    By piggy386 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-Sep-2005, 23:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk