Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As in:

His jacket showed red wrists accustomed to being bare.

(Adapted from Madame Bovary, Flaubert pg. 2).

Shoreditch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
England
I do not know what diagramming means, but, I, as an incompetent twit, wish to make a tentative attempt at determining the function of "accustomed to". Why attempting? I like to see my nonsense in print. It is one of my caracter faults, please forgive me.

I think a "that/which were" is missing from the sentence. The words have been wiped out via a means of a grammatical method called ... um ... I have no idea.
Somehow I feel the "accustomed to" belong together.
This is merely an intuition for which I can't find any irrefutable base. I am a bit reluctant to believe accustomed is adjectival. I think it has more verbal force than it has adjectival one. Again, intuitions.

I am not a teacher, please wait for a creditable answer from a trusthworty member. I am not one. :-(

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Isn't that like drawing the bathroom on the seventh floor, and only the bathroom on the seventh floor?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I do not know what diagramming means, but, I, as an incompetent twit, wish to make a tentative attempt at determining the function of "accustomed to". Why attempting? I like to see my nonsense in print. It is one of my caracter faults, please forgive me.
If you don't know the answer, please don't respond. When people see in 'New Posts' that someone has submitted a message, they come in hoping to find an answer, not a guess.

Sorry, jayjay, I can't help, as I am not an expert on (or a fan of) diagramming. If Frank sees your post he should be able to give you an answer.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Phew! For a moment there, I thought someone had realized I was an incompetent twit.... sorry for my lack of answer. I meant that a diagram of a part might not be as useful as a diagram of a whole.

jayjay5531

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree that there's an implied "that were" here. The independent clause of this sentence is "His jacket showed red wrists". Then there's an adjective clause modifying "wrists": "that were accustomed to being bare."

For the subordinate adjective clause "that were accustomed to being bare":
"that" is obviously the subject
"were accustomed" is the verb
"to being bare".... what is that? Even if you don't know about diagramming you can probably help me if you can describe what it's role in the sentence is.

I'm starting to think that the "to" is just part of the verb "accustomed to", which would make "being bare" a gerund phrase that serves as the direct object of "accustomed to". What do you think?

Thanks so much

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You've figured it out. Perfect.

For implied, though, there is the term "ellipsis", or elliptical.

"To be accustomed to" is an awkward infinitive, but I think that that is the case.

Frank

jayjay5531

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you Frank!
So for elliptical words (is that how it's used?) such as "that were", do I just leave the line on the diagram blank? Or put an X or something? Or the words themselves in parentheses?

Sawsawxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How to diagram "accustomed to"?? As in: His jacket showed red wrists accustomed to being bare.
"Accustomed to" is not a syntactic unit of any sort, only a fragment of the adjective phrase "accustomed to being bare", in which the adjective "accustomed" is head and the PP "to being bare" is its complement. It isn't elliptical, though: no words are actually missing from the sentence. Relative clauses aren't the only expressions that can function as post-head modifier. We also find AdjPs (as in your sentence), PPs ("a hut in the forest"), NPs ("our friend the mayor", and non-finite clauses ("the person for you to consult", "students living on campus", "a letter written by his uncle").

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We are still waiting for the diagram.

Frank Antonson1

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sawsawxx, you do not appear to understand Reed-Kellogg.

Sawsawxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sawsawxx, you do not appear to understand Reed-Kellogg.
I'm familiar with it, but I prefer trees. Here's a diagram of the whole sentence.
image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.