Thread: Want or wish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Want or wish?

Can someone explain me when to use 'want' and when to use 'wish'. Is it rude if you go to a bank and say ' you want to open a bank account?'

Thanks in anticipation of your reply

Dany is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Want or wish?

Quote Originally Posted by explorelang
    Can someone explain me when to use 'want' and when to use 'wish'. Is it rude if you go to a bank and say ' you want to open a bank account?'

Thanks in anticipation of your reply
    Hello,

"wish" is often used if you wish sth to sb. For example: "I wish you a merry x-mas" or "I wish you a happy new year".

"want" is usually used if you would like to express that you want to do sth. For example: "I want to go on holiday".

In you example I would rather use: "I would like to open an account" or, if the banker is asking: "Would you like to open an account?"

"would like" is used to express in a kindly way that you want to have sth.

Best wishes,
    Dany

rhapsomatrics is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Want or wish?

[QUOTE=Dany]Hello,

"wish" is often used if you wish sth to sb. For example: "I wish you a merry x-mas" or "I wish you a happy new year".

"want" is usually used if you would like to express that you want to do sth. For example: "I want to go on holiday".

I do not honestly think that explanations like these can help.Since the questioner has indicated his/her desire to know the difference,both in meaning and usage,between the words "wish" and "want",using the same words could be counter-productive. To me,it sounds like,for example,answering the question "what is education?" with "an act of educating".In my opinion,a wish expresses the desire to do or have something while a want is a need,a necessity.It is possible,for example,for someone to want what he doesn't need...a ten year old asking his father to buy a car for him.(he doesn't need it,though he wants it).
    Last edited by rhapsomatrics; 04-May-2006 at 22:59.