Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

What nice winter weather we are experiencing this spring. :-D

By pressing and soon releasing the programming push button the auto-learning procedure is initiated. LED blinks quickly for 10 seconds: for this time long, every time a push button of a keyfob, (located near the RX-4MHCS), is pressed, such keyfob would be learnt. Programming of RX-4MHCS is confirmed by LED with steady red light, afterwards it switches off.

The sentence in question was put by me in bold type. The sentence is not very well written, I must say, especially "for this time long".

To my way of thinking, "for this time long" can be replaced by "during this period of time". I would transform the sentence as follows:

Whenever a push button of a keyfob is pressed such a keyfob would be learnt (taught?) during this period of time (10 seconds). Still, I am not a native speaker of English.

Thank you.

The sentence is taken from
RX-4MHCS​
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
User Manual

http://www.aurelwireless.com/wp-content/uploads/user-manual/650200997G_um.pdf

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Re: Is "for this time long" related to "such keyfob would be learnt"

To my way of thinking, "for this time long" can be replaced by "during this period of time".
Agreed. Not only can it be, it needs to be because "for this time long" is not English.

The rest of the original sentence is butchery. Try this:
The key fob will remember any sequence of button presses that occurs during the period of time (or interval) that the LED is blinking.
Successful programming of the RX-4MHCS is confirmed by the LED with a steady red light. Afterwards it switches off.

The person who wrote that manual just loves run-on sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.