Healthcare that leaves you.. dead ( please check for grammar& stylistics errors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Healthcare that leaves you.. dead ( please check for grammar& stylistics errors)

Just heard a harrowing story and it just fortified my already strong prejudices against the quality of our healthcare.
This woman got prescribed some drug by her gynecologist, which gave her Quincke’s edema. She was rushed to hospital, but was released shortly after, after being given some other drug.
Later that night her condition worsened and she had to call an ambulance again. She was taken to that same hospital once again, now having pre-stroke symptoms. However, she was sent back home, since it was only ‘’pre-stroke’’ and there was nothing much to be concerned about. When she returned home she had a stroke, and while she was being taken to the hospital for the third time, she had another stroke and fell into a coma.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Healthcare that leaves you.. dead ( please check for grammar& stylistics errors

Just heard a harrowing story and it just fortified my already strong prejudices against the quality of our healthcare.
This woman got prescribed some drug by her gynecologist, which gave her Quincke’s edema. She was rushed to hospital, but was released shortly after, after being given some other drug.
Later that night her condition worsened and she had to call an ambulance again. She was taken to that same hospital once again, [STRIKE] now [/STRIKE] then having pre-stroke symptoms. However, she was sent back home, since it was only ‘’pre-stroke’’ and there was nothing much to be concerned about. When she returned home she had a stroke, and while she was being taken to the hospital for the third time, she had another stroke and fell into a coma.

Looks good. One minor suggestion.

Brakha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Re: Healthcare that leaves you.. dead ( please check for grammar& stylistics errors

Looks good. One minor suggestion.
Thanks a lot. Can you still tell that it was written by a non-native speaker though?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

да!

Koronas

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Greece

Yes, a native speaker would say "strengthened" not "fortified".
I have Just heard a harrowing story and it just fortified my already strong prejudices against the quality of our healthcare.
(Don't repeat "just" and "after". Phrase it using "having..." instead.)

Later that night her condition worsened and she had to call an ambulance again. She was taken to that same hospital once again, now having pre-stroke symptoms. However, she was sent back home, since it was only ‘’pre-stroke’’ and there was nothing much to be concerned about. When she returned home she had a stroke, and while she was being taken to the hospital for the third time, she had another stroke and fell into a coma.
Try to avoid repetition. You could write "once more".

Brakha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Yes, a native speaker would say "strengthened" not "fortified".

Try to avoid repetition. You could write "once more".

And if I'm not mistaken prejudice also collocates with reinforce and confirm?

Koronas

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Greece

Yes, you could use those verbs.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I'm not keen on the use of "This woman", "some drug" and "some other drug". They sound very casual. For the first paragraph, I would have said:

A woman was prescribed a drug by her gynaecologist, but the drug caused Quincke's oedema. She was rushed to hospital but was released shortly after, having been given a different drug.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I'm not keen on the use of "This woman", "some drug" and "some other drug". They sound very casual. For the first paragraph, I would have said:

A woman was prescribed a drug by her gynaecologist, but the drug caused Quincke's oedema. She was rushed to hospital but was released shortly after, having been given a different drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.