[Grammar] can not understand the meaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng.shahab

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi teacher...
i can`t get the meaning of this paragraph ...specially for where i draw the underline.help me plzz:-( because of "recognize" in the begininng of the sentence:

". However, during the project execution, other critical paths may well occur as a result of unplanned time variation. So, recognize that failure to understand near critical paths is one key piece of analysis missing with the traditional network tool"

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
At the start of a project you map out all the activities involved and the sequence in which they occur.
Adding durations to the individual activities and appropriate links between them enable you to see how long tbe project will take.
It also allows you to see the critical path through the activities. Any delay in the critical path activities will have a direct effect on the end date of the project.

The problem comes when people concentrate purely on the critical activities and ignore less critical activities.
A sequence of (previously sub critical) activities may have only had 1 week of "float", I.e. "free" time, before they, in turn, would form the new critical path through the project. A delay of 3 weeks in such a previously sub critical series of activities would cause a 1 week delay to the project, unless the schedule is reassessed and, say, overtime used to reduce subsequent activity durations to bring the project back on schedule.

So. You not only have to keep an eye on the critical path activities, but on all others that could potentially go critical.

Regards
R21

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
hi teacher...
i can`t get the meaning of this paragraph ...specially for where i draw the underline.help me plzz:-( because of "recognize" in the begininng of the sentence:

". However, during the project execution, other critical paths may well occur as a result of unplanned time variation. So, recognize that failure to understand near critical paths is one key piece of analysis missing with the traditional network tool"
"Recognize" is imperative mood. It means: "Recognize this: Failure to understand ..."

eng.shahab

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
At the start of a project you map out all the activities involved and the sequence in which they occur.
Adding durations to the individual activities and appropriate links between them enable you to see how long tbe project will take.
It also allows you to see the critical path through the activities. Any delay in the critical path activities will have a direct effect on the end date of the project.

The problem comes when people concentrate purely on the critical activities and ignore less critical activities.
A sequence of (previously sub critical) activities may have only had 1 week of "float", I.e. "free" time, before they, in turn, would form the new critical path through the project. A delay of 3 weeks in such a previously sub critical series of activities would cause a 1 week delay to the project, unless the schedule is reassessed and, say, overtime used to reduce subsequent activity durations to bring the project back on schedule.

So. You not only have to keep an eye on the critical path activities, but on all others that could potentially go critical.

Regards
R21

thank you very much (R21) :)...maybe it was my fault to describe the problem totally,it was a translation issue in fact...but your definition was powerful and exactly right.tnx a lot

eng.shahab

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Recognize" is imperative mood. It means: "Recognize this: Failure to understand ..."

i really appreciate your help...The problem almost solved!:) thank you my friend ,very much:):lol:

eng.shahab

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
one more question my friends:
does "...is one key piece of analysis missing with the traditional network tool" mean that = ... is one key piece to analyze the weakness of the traditional network too ?

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Any reasonable planning network program should give you the ability to analyse not only the critical path but also any near critical paths. That's what it does!

The problem is not with the network planning tool itself but more likely with the quality/frequency of updates, the quality of the planning engineer analysing it and the quality of the project management team reviewing it.

Even the very best project management software available won't help you if you fail to understand what it's telling you!

"So, recognize that failure of the project controls/management team to understand the prime importance of near critical paths is one key piece of analytical reviews missing with the traditional network tool"

Regards
R21
(ex Project Controls Manager)

eng.shahab

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Any reasonable planning network program should give you the ability to analyse not only the critical path but also any near critical paths. That's what it does!

The problem is not with the network planning tool itself but more likely with the quality/frequency of updates, the quality of the planning engineer analysing it and the quality of the project management team reviewing it.

Even the very best project management software available won't help you if you fail to understand what it's telling you!

"So, recognize that failure of the project controls/management team to understand the prime importance of near critical paths is one key piece of analytical reviews missing with the traditional network tool"

Regards
R21
(ex Project Controls Manager)

Problem Solved:)
Last Part in "..." saved me!:) really want to thank u...sorry for taking your time ...goodluck

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Problem Solved:)
Last Part in "..." saved me!:) really want to thank u...sorry for taking your time ...goodluck

No problem.
Traditional analysis looks for what should have happened by now but hasn't. By then it's too late!
The analysis that I used to obtain from the system looked at what could have happened by now but hasn't. It's a more proactive approach.
It's an order of magnitude more powerful/effective technique than the standard analysis techniques.

Hope this helps
Regards
R21

Status
Not open for further replies.