Mistake at the Motivation Letter. Was it too bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabella Melo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dear friends,

I sent an application for a LL.M program last week and I was just re-reading the motivation letter I sent them. That's when I realized I made a mistake by writing "our government has been choosing the right economical politics" instead of "our government has been choosing the right economic policies"... Before sending it, I read it a thousand times, I gave it to a friend to read (who also didn't notice the mistake) and I just didn't see it until now! Do you native English speakers believe this is a terrible mistake (like, does it have a different meaning)? I am worried, because I believe the rest of the letter was quite good, and I really don't want to miss the chance of being accepted because of this...

Thanks a lot!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They will have noticed this, and as it's vocabulary close to the subject it will stand out, but a lot depends on what else you said. It is so common for universities to have international students that it is hard to say that two words will be fatal to an application. I would guess that if the rest is genuinely good, then it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Isabella Melo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Do you think it would be ok for me to write to the university asking if they can replace my motivation letter since I noticed a vocabulary mistake, or should I just leave it like that? And by the way, thanks for your message, I do hope it won't be a deal breaker! :)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Nooooooo way. Just let it be. It would be worse to point it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.