• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the "being" used correctly?

Hi all, I updated a status on Facebook, but not sure if this is correct because my friend told me that she does not know what I was talking about. Could you please help me?
    I was trying to say I wanted a glass of triple-color dessert. So I typed " Being eager for a glass of triple-color dessert." Is it correct to use "being" in situations like this ? Many thanks in advance.
    And a little question about the "Hi all, " I typed at the beginning of my question, is that correct? I saw this in some forums, but not sure if this is appropriate in this asking-help situation. Thanks. :)

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is the "being" used correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mai View Post
    Hi all, I updated a status on Facebook, but not sure if this is correct because my friend told me that she does not know what I was talking about. Could you please help me?
    I was trying to say I wanted a glass of triple-color dessert. So I typed " Being eager for a glass of triple-color dessert." Is it correct to use "being" in situations like this ? Many thanks in advance.
    And a little question about the "Hi all, " I typed at the beginning of my question, is that correct? Yes, it's correct and appropriate.
    I saw this in some forums, but not sure if this is appropriate in this asking-help situation. Thanks. :)
    No, you can't use 'being' that way. There's various ways you could phrase it. I guess it means that you remain eager for a glass.... But "Remaining eager for a glass..." is also not good. If, as you say, you only want to say that you want a glass, you can say, "[I] Am eager for a glass of triple-color dessert".
    You could also use, "Eager for a glass of triple-color dessert." or "Still eager for ..."
    How you phrase depends on the exact meaning you want to convey.