Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice for teaching over the internet

Hello everyone
    I have just begun to teach English by videoconference over the internet and am at present working with a Japanese student.
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding free ads or ways to "spread the word" about my tuition in Japan... I am based in Europe and have taught English for more than 10 years.
    Great site, by the way.
    Many thanks
    Gareth Butt MEd. (Applied Linguistics), Adv. Dip. TESOL, PGCE English and Spanish (distinction), BA Hons. English and Spanish (first class), Cambridge RSA Cert. TEFLA
    Internet English Lessons
    http://www.internetenglishlessons.com/

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice for teaching over the internet

Search engine marketing for organic results is very time-consuming, but can be done. With a site like yours, however, a paid campaign would probably be more effective because you can target a few key words and steer traffic directly to your site. Most of the sites about teaching in Japan that I know have paid advertising, though I only know the ones that are directed at teachers there like GaijinPot. I have added a link to your site here: http://www.usingenglish.com/links/Tutorials/

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Tdol
    Many thanks for your message and for the advice. I may well consider paid advertising, but so far I'm a novice in the arcane world of website promotion.
    Thank you very much for placing a link to my site. Very much appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Gareth Butt, MEd Applied Linguistics
    Internet English Lessons
    http://www.internetenglishlessons.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I hope you are successful with your business. Actually I'm teaching video lessons in Japan right now through a large eikaiwa company.
    I think you have a great domain name! What more can you ask. So that will give your site free traffic just there and then you just got to get loads of incoming links. This will help SEO. I don't know if you have already have but get a script up on your site where people can add their site to yours and you to theirs automatically.I recommend giving away freebies of any kind. Maybe a cool ebook with very useful English phrases. Not so difficult to make. You will create advertising in it and links on every page. Also how about a newsletter. Automatic sign up. Maybe do a demo video lesson so people can view what a lesson looks like.
    I see you already have paypal set up which makes it convenient for everyone to pay.
    Anyway hope all that helps.
    Teach English in Japan Forum
    Last edited by patsensei; 27-Feb-2006 at 11:44.

Post Thanks / Like

hi everyone;
    i have to more english words :( how can i learn more english words and at the same time i have to practice in english can anybody help me????

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes- you can practise your new vocabulary by posting here and talking to native speakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by patsensei
    Hi. I hope you are successful with your business. Actually I'm teaching video lessons in Japan right now through a large eikaiwa company.
    I think you have a great domain name! What more can you ask. So that will give your site free traffic just there and then you just got to get loads of incoming links. This will help SEO. I don't know if you have already have but get a script up on your site where people can add their site to yours and you to theirs automatically.I recommend giving away freebies of any kind. Maybe a cool ebook with very useful English phrases. Not so difficult to make. You will create advertising in it and links on every page. Also how about a newsletter. Automatic sign up. Maybe do a demo video lesson so people can view what a lesson looks like.
    I see you already have paypal set up which makes it convenient for everyone to pay.
    Anyway hope all that helps.
    Teach English in Japan Forum
    Dear Patsensei,
    Many thanks for your reply and advice. The "freebie" and video demo ideas are especially useful. I see I have a lot more work to do to properly advertise my site...!
    Thank you again for helping. This is very much appreciated.
    Yours,
    Gareth Butt
    Internet English Lessons

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion to you is, create a web-ring.

Web-ring:
    A web-ring is where webmasters (like yourself) agree to link to each otherís sites for mutual benefit. More links, more traffic, more clients.

How to start:
    Start by emailing webmasters (the webmasters here fro example) and asking them to place an ad for your site here and offer to do the same for them.

Thatís it. It is free and most webmasters are pretty cool and if they have the space most will collaborate.

Hope that helps open up some options for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to help a non profit in Mexico get set up to teach English and Spanish over the internet, they have a DSL connection at present.

Is there any free app that would allow them to interface with 4 or 5 students via voice, typeing and white boarding?

I have not kept up to date at all on this type of application.

TIA

Joe

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines