Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Gossip Girl Recap: Somewhere Between a Marlins Jersey and the Absolute Truth -- Vulture

Blair: “Serena had an affair with her teacher because let’s face it, its’ Serena and what else is there to do in Connecticut, then she came to her senses and discarded him like last season’s Chanel booties. THEN, he became a crazy stalker and Serena pressed charges. That should be a warning to you, Humphrey … Never-to-be-realized literary aspirations? Check. He’s a townie … You’re from Brooklyn, so, check. Giving up everything to become Serena van der Woodsen’s stalker? Check! Face it, Humphrey, you are one knitted tie away from Mr. Donovan territory.”

Blair is Serena's friend. Humphrey is her boyfriend. Donovan was Serena's teacher, who was sentenced to jail under the falsified accusation that he had an affair with Serena, his underage student then.

What does the sentence I highlighted in red mean? I understood every English word, but not the sentence.

Thank you

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Humphrey" is acting like "Mr. Donovan." The observer can only tell that Humphrey is not Donovan because Donovan wears knit ties and Humphrey does not. He is only one knot tie away from being just like Donovan.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your help. Do you think the sentence I coined makes sense? I mean Tom looks like his father.

Tom is just one grey hair from his father territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.