Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    tara is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default take up thy bed and walk

    Hello

    I have a question from John 5:8 in the Bible.

    It says "Rise, Take Up Thy Bed, and Walk".
    I don't understand the meaning of "take up".
    Does it means "Pick up your bed, and walk with it"?
    or "Get rid of your bed, and walk"?

    I suppose it's a metaphor, but I'd like to know what
    the person is expected to act literally.

    Thank you,
    Tara

  2. #2
    Rover_KE is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15,028
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: take up thy bed and walk

    The cripplied man would have been lying on a simple bag of straw. Jesus told him to pick it up and walk away.

    There is no need to capitalise any other word than 'Rise'.

    Rover

  3. #3
    tara is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: take up thy bed and walk

    Hello Rover,

    Thank you very much for your kind response.

    I'd like to know more about how the man will treat the bag of straw.
    It doesn't say, but if you picture the scene, will this man walk away carrying with his bag of straw,
    without throwing it away?
    Of you don't care what happens to the bag of straw after being picked up?

    I will appreciate if you or other teachers give some idea on this.

    Thank you,
    Tara

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    The cripplied man would have been lying on a simple bag of straw. Jesus told him to pick it up and walk away.

    There is no need to capitalise any other word than 'Rise'.

    Rover

  4. #4
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: take up thy bed and walk

    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Hello Rover,

    Thank you very much for your kind response.

    I'd like to know more about how the man will treat the bag of straw.
    It doesn't say, but if you picture the scene, will this man walk away carrying with his bag of straw,
    without throwing it away?
    Of you don't care what happens to the bag of straw after being picked up?

    I will appreciate if you or other teachers give some idea on this.

    Thank you,
    Tara
    Why would he throw away his bag of straw? He might need it to sleep on later.

  5. #5
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: take up thy bed and walk

    It's true that he might take it with him, especially if it is the bed he regularly sleeps on. However, there is nothing in the text to say what he did with it next. We don't know and (personally) I don't care.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  6. #6
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: take up thy bed and walk

    I like to think he gave it to one of the little pigs to build a house with.

  7. #7
    tara is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: take up thy bed and walk

    Hello bhaisahab,

    Thank you very much for your response.
    It's so true.

    Thank you,
    Tara

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Why would he throw away his bag of straw? He might need it to sleep on later.

  8. #8
    tara is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: take up thy bed and walk

    Hello emsr2d2,

    Thank you very much for answering my stupid question.
    I just wanted to know if there's something native English speakers would know based on their cultural background.
    And I'm satisfied to know you don't know how he treat his bed from the sentence, and you don't care.

    Thank you,
    Tara

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    It's true that he might take it with him, especially if it is the bed he regularly sleeps on. However, there is nothing in the text to say what he did with it next. We don't know and (personally) I don't care.

  9. #9
    tara is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: take up thy bed and walk

    Hello 5jj,

    That's lovely.
    I would like to give it to a drowning man, too.

    Thank you,
    Tara

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I like to think he gave it to one of the little pigs to build a house with.

  10. #10
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: take up thy bed and walk

    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Hello emsr2d2,

    Thank you very much for answering my stupid question.
    I just wanted to know if there's something native English speakers would know based on their cultural background.
    And I'm satisfied to know you don't know how he treat his bed from the sentence, and you don't care.

    Thank you,
    Tara
    It wasn't a stupid question at all.

    I'm not really sure why native English speakers would have a particular view of this story based on our cultural background. Unless you are suggesting that all native English speakers are Christians who read and believe the stories in the Bible. That is not the case.

    Saying "I don't care" is perhaps a little too dramatically casual! It's simply that what he did with the bed is completely unimportant and that is perhaps why that information doesn't appear in the story.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. walk pass or walk past
    By David Van Beveren in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2010, 22:41
  2. Thee, Thy, Thine etc Whats their use?
    By Danae in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-Jul-2010, 08:03
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2009, 17:21
  4. poster bed / canopy bed
    By magdalena in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2008, 23:12
  5. lying on the bed/being in bed
    By Anonymous in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2004, 14:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •