what is the simple way to identify verb and noun including proper noun in a sentences

Status
Not open for further replies.

english_learn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Australia
Could anyone please tell me what is the simple way to identify verb and noun including proper noun in a sentences? What is the simple logic? For instance in the below sentences how to differentiate them?

1. I have extensive experience in supporting Senior Project Managers and Delivery Directors in planning, executing, monitoring, and closing a variety of research projects.
  2. My experience is include Change control, business process ,requirement traceability analysis and dependency management.
  3. I have developed new process and quality standards for project/portfolio delivery governance.
  4. I have a proven track record in tracking, controlling and reporting on project/ programme schedule, budget and scope for executives.
  5. My achievements include

• Successful development and Implementation of Enterprise Dependency Management process and policies.
  • Developed and implemented of SharePoint sites for all PMO & Governance services.

cereal_chick

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In a clause, you have a subject, a verb and possibly an object. The order is very rigid in English, being subject-verb-object. So in the sentence "Mary had a lamb", Mary is a subject and therefore a noun (a proper noun as well, because it is capitalised), a verb characterised by an inflection expressing past tense ("had" as opposed to "have") and a lamb is the object and therefore also a noun.

When learning a word, you should learn along with it what part of speech it is. If you have difficulty in doing so, try to think of its meaning or if you can't remember/don't know it, think of what it is not.

PS: "My experience includes Change Control, business process, requirement...
"I have developed (a) new process(es) and..." (A noun that does not have a definite article "the" must either have an "a/an" or be plural, without an "a/an")

[Not a teacher]

english_learn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Australia
Thanks but I could not get you. can you please provide some examples or point out in my examples please

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Could anyone please tell me what is the simple way to identify verb and noun including proper noun in a sentences? What is the simple logic? For instance in the below sentences how to differentiate them?

1. I have verb extensive experience noun in supporting Senior Project Managers and Delivery Directors in planning, executing, monitoring, and closing a variety of research projects.
  2. My experience includes verb Change control noun, business process noun ,requirement noun, traceability noun, analysis noun, and dependency noun, management noun

etc. etc. etc.

I fear I have not well understood your question, but you wanted simple. This is simple. Nouns are things, people or ideas. Verbs are actions.

1. I have developed new process and quality standards for project/portfolio delivery governance.s.
  2. My achievements include

• Successful development and Implementation of Enterprise Dependency Management process and policies.
  • eloped and implemented of SharePoint sites for all PMO & Governance services.

english_learn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Australia
  1. My experience includes verb Change control noun, business process noun ,requirement noun, traceability noun, analysis noun, and dependency noun, management noun

if above are nouns ( proper noun) , then why they are not in capital? If they should not be in capital the below nouns( proper noun) should not be in capital as well. Am I right?

1. I have verb extensive experience noun in supporting Senior Project Managersnoun and Delivery Directors noun in planning, executing, monitoring, and closing a variety of research projects.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
They are not proper nouns, merely common nouns, like sand, spit, food, dirt: the simple things of everyday life.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Maybe I'm slowly starting to get your question. Proper nouns refer to a specific person, country or similar thing. They are capitalized. Examples: English, French, George, Australia, the King, Christmas.

english_learn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Australia
thats means in the below sentence project manager and delivery director should not be in capital ? am I right ?

1. I have verb extensive experience noun in supporting Senior Project Managersnoun and Delivery Directors noun in planning, executing, monitoring, and closing a variety of research projects.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, you are correct.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
People have different opinions about these things. Job titles, while not normally proper nouns, often have initial capital letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.