Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello everyone!

"Summer Priest" - I guess is the priest who passing by a town in summer. Is that common for church to receive those Priests every summer, what they suppose to do in summer and normally where do they come from? Thanks for explanation, teachers!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello everyone!

"Summer Priest" - I guess is the priest who passing by a town in summer. Is that common for church to receive those Priests every summer, what they suppose to do in summer and normally where do they come from? Thanks for explanation, teachers!
What is the source of this?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have never heard of a 'summer priest'.

Quang Hai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In W. Trevor story name The potato dealer. But there is nothing to quote: here all paragraph is:

'A year ago, it was Mr Larrissey, not his sister, who had first known about the summer priest who was the father of this child. On his way back from burning stubble he had seen his niece in the company of the man and had known from the way they walked that there was some kind of intimacy between them. When his niece’s condition was revealed he had not, beneath the anger he displayed, been much surprised.'

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Summer Priest" - I guess is the priest who passing by a town in summer.

Quang Hai, I think you have nailed it. It is not a common phrase, and arguably Irish dialect, but I think you have hit its meaning precisely.

Quang Hai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"Summer Priest" - I guess is the priest who passing by a town in summer.

Quang Hai, I think you have nailed it. It is not a common phrase, and arguably Irish dialect, but I think you have hit its meaning precisely.

Thanks for your comment. What I would like to learn is cultural side of the word. I really would like to learn on what scope of the priest, where they come from, is that common practice to send them over so on and so on. Sorry if someone may think it is too much for language itself but I always consider language is culture.

Getemjan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Culturally, the "summer priest" might be a priest who travels to remote areas, where there is no regular priest available, to say Mass and celebrate the sacraments. This situation occurs especially in places where there is a shortage of priests.

A "summer priest" could also be a priest who substitutes for a parish priest when he goes on vacation or sabbatical -- that is, the "summer priest" would replace the parish priest temporarily.

The term "summer priest" is probably a colloquialism, in restricted use to this particular setting. But the context of the passage suggests that this priest was in that location for a short time; he didn't live there permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.