Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    How to write basic english right ?

    to whom it may concern, do you mind to give a guidance or an easy way how to write english? like how the right way to embed "s","es","does" ?

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: How to write basic english right ?

    Welcome to the forum.

    Your question is not clear. Please deal with your queries one at a time. What do you mean by "the right way to embed"?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: How to write basic english right ?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

    Your question is not clear. Please deal with your queries one at a time. What do you mean by "the right way to embed"?

    hello emsr2d2,

    what I mean is, do you know when and how to put "s" "does" etc when I'm writing in sentences ? cause I have a problem.When having conversation with people i can understand what they're talking about and I can reply them well but when it came on writing I have to say I'm not that good or my writing is really bad don't know how to put "s" behind the word and also how to put "does" and sometimes i can't see the different when i have to use past tense. and from this short sentence do you mind to take a look if I wrote it wrong or not ?

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: How to write basic english right ?

    Quote Originally Posted by banboy View Post
    Hello emsr2d2,

    What I mean is, do you know when and how to put "s" "does" etc when I'm writing in sentences? cause I have a problem. When having conversations with people I can understand what they're talking about and I can reply to them well but when it came on comes to writing I have to say I'm not that good or my writing is really bad. I don't know how to put "s" behind after the word and also how to put "does". and Sometimes I can't see the different difference or when I have to use the past tense. and From this short sentence, do would you mind to take taking a look to see if I wrote it wrong correctly or not?
    Please see the amendments I have made to your post. Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter.

    It is difficult to deal with two different questions in the same thread so please start another thread about the use of "does".

    Using "s" at the end of a word - add an "s" when you make a plural noun (there are some exceptions) and add "s" to the end of a present tense verb in the third person singular. Does that help?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: How to write basic english right ?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Please see the amendments I have made to your post. Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter.

    It is difficult to deal with two different questions in the same thread so please start another thread about the use of "does".

    Using "s" at the end of a word - add an "s" when you make a plural noun (there are some exceptions) and add "s" to the end of a present tense verb in the third person singular. Does that help?
    this one is quite enough for me and I will read the one that you gave me a correction. Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    using past tense with conjunction and how to put it correctly

    I have this statement, and I don't know what I should use, present tense or past tense ? I red ink the one that I confused:


    Jessica lied about her w
    eight because she feel(felt) ashamed(ashame) ?



    since this statement say : Jessica LIED about her weight , and after put because, should i use past tense for feel and ashame ?
    Last edited by banboy; 20-Apr-2013 at 10:12. Reason: Not Capitalised I

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,020
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: using past tense with conjunction and how to put it correctly

    Banboy, did you read emsr2d2's advice 'Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter'? She also capitalised 'I' every time it was used.

    If you don't make the effort to improve your written English your posts will be ignored.

    I suggest you use the Edit Post button to correct these mistakes. We will then consider answering your question.

    Rover

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: using past tense with conjunction and how to put it correctly

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Banboy, did you read emsr2d2's advice 'Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter'? She also capitalised 'I' every time it was used.

    If you don't make the effort to improve your written English your posts will be ignored.

    I suggest you use the Edit Post button to correct these mistakes. We will then consider answering your question.

    Rover
    Hi Rover, sorry about that and to emsr2d2, I also apologized about that before. But now I'm having this issue, should I change the red color text with past tense or just use present tense? Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,020
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: using past tense with conjunction and how to put it correctly

    'Ashamed' does not change: it's an adjective, not a verb tense.

    You can use 'feels' (not 'feel') if she is still ashamed about her weight, and 'felt' if she is no longer ashamed.

    Rover

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: using past tense with conjunction and how to put it correctly

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    'Ashamed' does not change: it's an adjective, not a verb tense.

    You can use 'feels' (not 'feel') if she is still ashamed about her weight, and 'felt' if she is no longer ashamed.

    Rover
    Is "S" can be put behind feel because we're talking about 3rd person?

    Let me rewrite again:

    No.1 Jessica lied about her weight, because she feels ashamed.


    No.2 Jessica lied about her weight, because she felt ashamed.

    Since you mentioned to me about this :
    You can use 'feels' (not 'feel') if she is still ashamed about her weight, and 'felt' if she is no longer ashamed.
    if the event is already passed, an adjective need to use past tense (such as "ed") along with verb tense too ? verb tense (use past tense) and adjective(use past tense)? am i correct ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help with Basic English
    By Kyoma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14-Mar-2011, 13:05
  2. English has 5 basic structures. What are they???
    By fadysandy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Oct-2010, 02:20
  3. want to learn basic english
    By sam max in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Feb-2010, 16:42
  4. [Grammar] english basic grammar
    By louielee in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2008, 19:35
  5. basic english? Why is Basic capital?
    By Mark Martin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Sep-2008, 19:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •