[General] How to write basic english right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

banboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
United States
to whom it may concern, do you mind to give a guidance or an easy way how to write english? like how the right way to embed "s","es","does" ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

Your question is not clear. Please deal with your queries one at a time. What do you mean by "the right way to embed"?

banboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Your question is not clear. Please deal with your queries one at a time. What do you mean by "the right way to embed"?

hello emsr2d2,

what I mean is, do you know when and how to put "s" "does" etc when I'm writing in sentences ? cause I have a problem.When having conversation with people i can understand what they're talking about and I can reply them well but when it came on writing I have to say I'm not that good or my writing is really bad don't know how to put "s" behind the word and also how to put "does" and sometimes i can't see the different when i have to use past tense. and from this short sentence do you mind to take a look if I wrote it wrong or not ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello emsr2d2,

What I mean is, do you know when and how to put "s" "does" etc when I'm writing in sentences? [STRIKE]cause[/STRIKE] I have a problem. When having conversations with people I can understand what they're talking about and I can reply to them well but when it [STRIKE]came on[/STRIKE] comes to writing I have to say I'm not that good or my writing is really bad. I don't know how to put "s" [STRIKE]behind[/STRIKE] after the word and also how to put "does". [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] Sometimes I can't see the [STRIKE]different[/STRIKE] difference or when I have to use the past tense. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] From this short sentence, [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] would you mind [STRIKE]to take[/STRIKE] taking a look to see if I wrote it [STRIKE]wrong[/STRIKE] correctly or not?

Please see the amendments I have made to your post. Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter.

It is difficult to deal with two different questions in the same thread so please start another thread about the use of "does".

Using "s" at the end of a word - add an "s" when you make a plural noun (there are some exceptions) and add "s" to the end of a present tense verb in the third person singular. Does that help?

banboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
United States
Please see the amendments I have made to your post. Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter.

It is difficult to deal with two different questions in the same thread so please start another thread about the use of "does".

Using "s" at the end of a word - add an "s" when you make a plural noun (there are some exceptions) and add "s" to the end of a present tense verb in the third person singular. Does that help?

this one is quite enough for me and I will read the one that you gave me a correction. Thank you.

banboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
United States
using past tense with conjunction and how to put it correctly

I have this statement, and I don't know what I should use, present tense or past tense ? I red ink the one that I confused:

Jessica lied about her w
eight because she feel(felt) ashamed(ashame) ?

since this statement say : Jessica LIED about her weight , and after put because, should i use past tense for feel and ashame ?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: using past tense with conjunction and how to put it correctly

Banboy, did you read emsr2d2's advice 'Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter'? She also capitalised 'I' every time it was used.

If you don't make the effort to improve your written English your posts will be ignored.

I suggest you use the Edit Post button to correct these mistakes. We will then consider answering your question.

Rover

banboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
United States

Banboy, did you read emsr2d2's advice 'Remember to start every sentence with a capital letter'? She also capitalised 'I' every time it was used.

If you don't make the effort to improve your written English your posts will be ignored.

I suggest you use the Edit Post button to correct these mistakes. We will then consider answering your question.

Rover

Hi Rover, sorry about that and to emsr2d2, I also apologized about that before. But now I'm having this issue, should I change the red color text with past tense or just use present tense? Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

'Ashamed' does not change: it's an adjective, not a verb tense.

You can use 'feels' (not 'feel') if she is still ashamed about her weight, and 'felt' if she is no longer ashamed.

Rover

banboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
United States

'Ashamed' does not change: it's an adjective, not a verb tense.

You can use 'feels' (not 'feel') if she is still ashamed about her weight, and 'felt' if she is no longer ashamed.

Rover

Is "S" can be put behind feel because we're talking about 3rd person?

Let me rewrite again:

No.1 Jessica lied about her weight, because she feels ashamed.

No.2 Jessica lied about her weight, because she felt ashamed.

Since you mentioned to me about this :

if the event is already passed, an adjective need to use past tense (such as "ed") along with verb tense too ? verb tense (use past tense) and adjective(use past tense)? am i correct ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

if the event is already passed, an adjective need to use past tense (such as "ed") along with verb tense too ? verb tense (use past tense) and adjective(use past tense)? am i correct ?
'Ashamed' does not change: it's an adjective, not a verb tense.(Rover)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Adjectives do not take a tense. We do not say she "feels ashame." She "feels ashamed" or "felt ashamed." The adjective does not change. Some adjectives have an "-ed" ending because of how they were derived, but that does not mean they are "past tense" adjective.

banboy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
United States

am I write this correctly ?

We got all discipline by all the education that we’ve learned.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

am I write this correctly ?

I think this is now the third time you have been told:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.

In addition, your sentence should read "Did I write this correctly?"

The answer to your question is "No". The sentence "We got all discipline by all the education that we've learned" is incorrect. I don't even know what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.