Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
To clearly mark the facilities, buildings, places for the public or visitors, we usually put a signboard on each of them. Does it need to capitalize the first letter of the word on the signboard? For examples as below.

1. “playground" or “Playground”
2. “swimming pool” or “Swimming Pool”
3. “gymnasium” or “Gymnasium”?
4. “library” or “Library”

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To clearly mark the facilities, buildings, places for the public or visitors, we usually put a signboard on each of them. Does it need to capitalize the first letter of the word on the signboard? For examples as below.

1. “playground" or “Playground”
2. “swimming pool” or “Swimming Pool”
3. “gymnasium” or “Gymnasium”?
4. “library” or “Library”

I would expect to see the words on those signposts/signboards either all in capitals (PLAYGROUND/SWIMMING POOL) or with the the first letter of each word capitalised (Playground/Gymnasium). The word should be treated as if it is the first word of a sentence and should therefore be capitalised. In the case of a two-word name, capitalise the first letter of each word for consistency (Swimming Pool).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Conversely — perhaps perversely — lower case letters are increasingly used deliberately for 'stylistic' reasons where capitals are normally mandatory.

I still grit my teeth when I see signs like 'liverpool echo arena' and 'the sir percy verance conference centre'.

Students of the language should be aware of this when they see such examples but be assured that it is not considered to be standard practice.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.