Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have been googling ideas for teaching false beginners 1-2-1 but failed to find anything apart from grammar handouts.
Could anyone give me a hint about where to find various activities, games, etc.?

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi R21,

I have just looked through the links. Clearly, the material to be taught can vary considerably depending on the level and personal needs. And you are absolutely right - they deal with very basic concepts.

My headache was actually about 1-2-1 classes. I assume it was a bit tough then but I am a quick learner, so hopes I will survive are still high. :)

Many thanks for your support.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
At least a false beginner already has some knowledge of the language. What you may therefore need to determine is their specific strengths and weaknesses.

It should be easier to determine strengths and weaknesses on a 1-2-1 basis. Try coping, as I had to do as a student, where the teacher was trying to teach German to a class filled with absolute beginners, like me, to recent "O-level" exam failures.

At the time ('60's), I really wanted to learn Russian, as the alphabet has similarities with the Greek that I had already done. I gave up on the German and started on beginners Spanish - part way through the course!

Good luck!
R21

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Exactly. Teaching is not so much about what [to teach] but about how. From this angle, there's a world of difference between managing a group and dealing on a 1-2-1 basis. I was looking for certain ideas to vary the pace and interaction from rather a psychological point of view and, with generous support elsewhere, I feel I can eventually see the light.

Incidentally, I would never cope with Russian be it not my L1 - there's a lot more subtlety both in grammar and vocabulary. Once I had three weeks to spend on Italian and the result was fantastic, but it seldom helps to apply these techniques in class. People are very different, indeed.

Many thanks for your contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.