[Vocabulary] How can I say in English 'I was running and wan't aware of the surrounding so I hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

I want to say in English what is in bold.

You know that feeling when you are running and concentrating on searching for sth., then you hit one while running. You know that feeling?? I want to express it in a good language.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hit one? Hit one what?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I always thought English was "a good language" (not that I know any "bad languages" either) ;-)

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
..................NOT A TEACHER.........................

Hit one? Hit one what?
Here is what I think the OP means:
You have been searching and thinking about a problem for a long time but you can't find the solution for it. Now while you are running, the solution comes to your mind and you are very happy. What do you call the feeling? :-D

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Eureka!
Aha!

However, that applies no matter what you're doing when the solution comes to you. We definitely don't have a specific word for coming up with the solution whilst out jogging.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Eureka!
Aha!

However, that applies no matter what you're doing when the solution comes to you. We definitely don't have a specific word for coming up with the solution whilst out jogging.
I am very sorry for that!:-? I didn't read the title. Now I think what saloom means:
You are running and too concentrated in solving a problem. And suddenly, you hit something, maybe a wall, a dog, or someone else. What is the feeling?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're just being careless or you're not concentrating. The only feeling I can imagine is pain.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
You are running and too concentrated in solving a problem. And suddenly, you hit something, maybe a wall, a dog, or someone else. What is the feeling?
I think that the preposition on isn’t appropriate to be used here according to what the context says.

See the difference:
b. To bring into one main body: Authority was concentrated in the president.
concentrating - definition of concentrating by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

2. To direct one's thoughts or attention: We concentrated on the task before us.
concentrating - definition of concentrating by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Am I correct, please?

Thank you.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Anhana got my point exactly!!

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
First of all, I must thank you all for the precious responses. Then, I will tell the story which will clarify much more, I hope. During a trip to the pyramids, I was lost because the elegant interiors attracted me, and I decided to go deeper.I was so afraid of the dark and the scary mummies that I ran around without concentration and hit my friend Ahmed who was searching for me and lost, too, and both of us fell on the ground.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You bumped into Ahmed.