• Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Expression interpretation

Hello.

The situation I present here today is a bit silly and probably not worth your time, but hopefully someone can help me understand a bit better.
    I'm not a native English speaker, so some forms and expressions are easily lost on me, but I think I should be able to grasp the "big picture" of general texts, as long as they are conveyed in a straightforward and concise manner.

Anyhow, a user on another forum I frequent has written a sentence which to me was fairly obscure, so I interpreted it the way I did and asked a simple, straightforward and honest question in a non-baiting manner.

The comment was made in a tech article, regarding an antivirus program called "Malwarebyte's Antimalware."
    I've never heard of rogue killer, but I use Malwarebytes all the time, and once every month or so I use Kaserpsky to ensure a clean system, and of course the #1 anti malware and virus tool there is, common sense.
    My question was
    What's the #1 tool?
    because from the layout of the sentence I understood the user is referencing a third program.
    The first being Malwarebyte's, the second Kaspersky and a third application, which is the supposed number one application in the antivirus programs market, according to user's preferences and experience. According to my interpretation, the user deemed this application so untouchable on the pedestal that there was no need to even reference it by name, simply hinting that is the "#1" should be enough for most of the audience to understand which program is being mentioned.
    Hence my question.

A rather long a and immature straw man argument has been developing on this issue, mud slinging included. It has taken so long that in fact I have started doubting there is any sanity left on the Internet. My questions for you are:

a) was my interpretation of this sentence completely baseless?
    b) is the statement quoted above perfectly clear and understandable?

Thanks for your time and any insight you may offer.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 14-Apr-2013 at 22:23. Reason: Changing 'interpenetration' to 'interpretation'.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Expression interpretation

I can entirely understand a non-native's confusion. However, I would say that most native speakers would have had no problem with it. I read the statement quite clearly as "I use Malwarebytes all the time, Kaspersky once a month, and I also the use the #1 anti-malware and virus tool which exists - namely, my common sense".

So my answers to your questions are:

a) No.
    b) Yes.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

mkey is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply.

However, I'm not sure if I have made this clear, after rereading that's probably the case:

according to this statement, it's the user's opinion that the #1 program is in fact Malwarebyte's. That's what should be perfectly untranslatable from the quoted statement. There is no third application whatsoever.

BTW, a big LMAO to the edit, I can't believe I wrote interpenetration. I can believe even less that interpenetration is an actual word.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mkey View Post
    another forum I frequent
    Welcome to the forum, mkey.

Let's hope that ems's response will encourage you to drop around here more often.

ps. If you had not said very early in your post that you were not a native speaker, I would not have known. How did your English get to be so good?
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply.

However, I'm not sure if I have made this clear, after rereading that's probably the case:

according to this statement, it's the user's opinion that the #1 program is in fact Malwarebyte's. That's what should be perfectly untranslatable from the quoted statement. There is no third application whatsoever.
    Now I'm slightly confused. During the "debate" that has taken place on this other website, has the other writer told you that what he meant by his statement was that Malwarebytes is the #1 program, and that he didn't mean that "common sense" came into it anywhere? If that is the case, then he worded the original badly.

Note that there's no apostrophe in "Malwarebytes".
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

It's meant to be slightly humorous. I assume (I don't know anything about these things) that, for most people, Malwarebyte is the #1 tool and Kaserpsky the #2. The writer sets us up to think that s/he believes this, and then reminds us that the real #1 tool is common sense.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

mkey is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

5jj, thanks for both the welcome and the compliment. I use English for both reading and writing one order of magnitude more often then my native language. I also care about punctuation and grammar, there's no need to put forth garble when you'd like to talk with someone.
    Additionally, my mother tongue is rather defective when it comes to technical terminology, so all the relevant literature I work with is 99% English. As a side note, I'm of a technical orientation, engineering and such.

You're right, courteous replies and friendly users definitively do provide for a far more interesting discussion environment, compared to some less friendly places on the Internet. Which I have systematically stopped visiting.

ems, yes the user was talking about Malwarebytes as the #1 application. The "common sense" fiasco has also been discussed in this other thread and somehow that also turned out to be my fault, even though I hadn't commented at all on that bit of text. I just assumed that it's common sense this #1 application is the #1.
    It was also suggested that lack of understanding on my part was based on the possibility that I mistook "common sense" for an application, even though nowhere had I hinted nor suggested that. I hadn't thought of that, either.

I don't think it was an attempt at humor, in my opinion the whole thing is just badly worded and that's all there is to it. I think it's pretty far from being perfectly clear.

Thanks for the heads up, I always assumed it was Malwarebyte's as in "Maylwarebyte made it," never had much of an eye for details.