Well I really hope that someone here will have patience to read and make corrections to my little...essay I guess.

Last Thursday I had my wisdom tooth extracted. It was growing sideways impacting the neighboring teeth and needless to say, it really bothered me. The dentist told me that my gum was inflamed and that there was a lot of pus coming out of it. There was also a pretty big cist in it. She even showed it to me, but it was too bloody to make anything out. And yeah, I really wanted that tooth as a souvenir, but they threw it away Maybe itís for the better; I wouldnít be able to face the culprit of the agonizing pain I suffered for the entire next week.
The surgery itself went well, I was numbed and didnít feel a thing, and I even dared to think that I wouldnít need any painkillers afterwards. As soon as the anesthetic wore off I started experiencing the most excruciating pain ever. I took painkillers, lots of painkillers just to be able to sleep but I would wake up in the middle of the night to take more. A couple of days after the surgery I came to my dentist for a checkup. She looked rather worried when she looked at my tooth, well at that gaping hole that used to be my tooth, and said that there werenít any blood clots. I wasnít really sure if it was good news or not, well turned out it was bad news, because you need this clot to help your new bone and tissue grow. I was clueless what went wrong because I did everything exactly as she told me, or to be exact I didnít do what she told me not to do. I didnít drink through straws, didnít drink any hot liquids, didnít rinse my mouth, and I donít smoke. I came back for another checkup 3 days later, and the clot still wasnít there. And yeah, I was in even worse pain! In addition, I had this really weird tingling sensation in my cheek, and part of my face was numb. So after digging in my mouth for the 3d time my dentist told me I had a dry socket. I had no idea what she was talking about so after some research, I learnt some basic information about this condition:
∑ A Dry socket is a complication that you might develop after having your wisdom tooth extracted.
∑ It usually happens when a blood clot fails to develop, or falls out shortly after the surgery, leaving your socket hollow and exposing bone and nerves, which can cause severe pain.
∑ In order to avoid getting a dry socket you should follow all your dentistís instructions carefully and precisely. Try to refrain from smoking and drinking through straws. Donít rinse your mouth the first 3 days after the surgery, because you can wash out the blood clot.
∑ Avoid solid foods, and especially nuts, chips, popcorn and any other food that can leave particles in the socket. Go for liquid foods, such as puddings and soups and make sure you drink plenty of water.
I have to repeat myself and say that the pain caused by a dry socket is extreme; once it got so bad I wanted to grab a sledgehammer and just smash all my teeth. Well it would probably do more harm than good, but you get the picture.
The pain can get really bad, and your dentist will surely prescribe you some painkillers to lessen it, but there are also some other ways of mitigating the pain caused by a dry socket. Iíve tried all of them except for the clove oil; I simply couldnít find it anywhere.
1. Salt water. Dissolve a tablespoon of salt in a glass of warm water, and hold it in your mouth, but donít swish, or gargle. It should keep the pain at bay for a while. ( Kinda works)
2. Clove oil. Gently place a cotton pellet with a little dab of clove oil onto the dry socket.
3. Ice Pack. Cold is very good at warding off pain, so make sure you have enough of it in the freezer. The ice pack thing does work, the cold from the ice lulled me to sleep when the pain was at its worst.
It's been a week since I had my wisdom tooth pulled out, and I'm still in a lot of pain, going to see my dentist tomorrow though. She was talking about cleaning out the socket, I'm not really sure how she's going to do that, but by the sound of it it's going to hurt like hell.