Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the sentences: 1) The driving rain did not stop. 2) She was chilled to the bone from the piercing wind. Are the words driving and piercing adjectives of verbs? Thanks.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you think?

obscure

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Used to modify "rain" and "wind", surely the two present particles serve as adjectives.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Used to modify "rain" and "wind", surely the two present particles serve as adjectives.
obscure: FYI, many of us who respond to posts such as that of purpleclips would prefer that the original poster provide their opinion on the question before we respond.

purpleclips

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks Obscure. billmcd, I would have said adjective, just as the word apple is usually a noun but when used in the context of "apple tree" it is an adjective. Was just checking to see if there were any other conflicting views. As it is my first post on this forum I was not aware of the etiquette!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome purple.
Sometimes we don't notice that it's a first post - sorry about that.

Over the years, we've found people come here for a variety of reasons. Some just want us to answer their homework questions or (worse!) write their essays for them. They don't usually stay very long because we won't do it.

We believe the best learning takes place when people are able to work out the answer on their own, so we will always encourage you do to that. If something is a complete puzzle, at least tell us the source of your confusion.

I hope you'll get a lot of use from the online conversations with the teachers, native speakers, and learners here.

Status
Not open for further replies.