Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Subjunctive

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Subjunctive

    Grammar mavens!

    Please explain the subjunctive voice as clearly and plainly as possible, and give plenty of examples.

    :)

  2. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Subjunctive

    The English Subjunctive: Scholarly Opinions.

    http://www.ceafinney.com/subjunctive/excerpts.html


  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Subjunctive

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Grammar mavens!

    Please explain the subjunctive voice as clearly and plainly as possible, and give plenty of examples.

    :)
    It is the subjunctive "mood". Do you need any more after Cas's link?

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Subjunctive

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Grammar mavens!

    Please explain the subjunctive voice as clearly and plainly as possible, and give plenty of examples.

    :)
    It is the subjunctive "mood". Do you need any more after Cas's link?
    That's what I mean! I didn't even know it was the subjunctive mood. :(

    Actually, the stuff over there was a little too academic for me. It went right over my head. If I can study it in bite-sized chunks maybe I can really learn that stuff. (Whether I would ever need to know it is perhaps another matter.)

    Maybe I should just keep working on conditionals for the time being.

    :P

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

  6. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Thanks. I have only looked at the Bartleby site so far, but I am sure they are all useful sites.

    :D

  7. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,129
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Thanks. I have only looked at the Bartleby site so far, but I am sure they are all useful sites.

    :D
    After you review them, I'll be happy to work on it with you, if you'd like.

  8. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Thanks. I have only looked at the Bartleby site so far, but I am sure they are all useful sites.

    :D
    After you review them, I'll be happy to work on it with you, if you'd like.
    Okay. After I read each of them about ten times.

    :)

Similar Threads

  1. subjunctive
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2004, 12:49
  2. use of subjunctive
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2004, 21:24
  3. Subjunctive
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Jun-2004, 18:02
  4. Subjunctive + Prepositions
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19-May-2004, 04:20
  5. subjunctive
    By LUPITA in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Apr-2004, 20:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •