Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
*The essay about the negative atmosphere at job.Would you please review and correct it?
I'm working in merchandising company.My job is programmer analyst.
It is very stressful because I've to maintain the system online while working on the database.
I go to work at 7 o'clock by subway.My working hours vary according to business needs.
My boss is a slave drive,the most important thing for him is a profit so he is feather his own nest.
I've a colleague who always looks for way to buck the system and the other one is foul-mouthed and slacker,therefore I don't get on well with them.
I've tried to prevent their negative energy to spread like wildfire.
On some days I've got my work out for me even in my holidays so they turn to be busman's holiday. ( 's refer to ?)
Thence I'll give it up as bad job.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

zeyadsama

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Where are members ? :cry:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*The essay about the negative atmosphere at job.Would you please review and correct it?
I'm working in merchandising company.My job is programmer analyst.
It is very stressful because I've to maintain the system online while working on the database.
I go to work at 7 o'clock by subway.My working hours vary according to business needs.
My boss is a slave drive,the most important thing for him is a profit so he is feather his own nest.
I've a colleague who always looks for way to buck the system and the other one is foul-mouthed and slacker,therefore I don't get on well with them.
I've tried to prevent their negative energy to spread like wildfire.
On some days I've got my work out for me even in my holidays so they turn to be busman's holiday. ( 's refer to ?)
Thence I'll give it up as bad job.

Thanks in advance.

Using so many figures of speech is not natural.
When "to have" is the main verb, don't contract it.
Unless your boss is stealing from the company, he's not "feathering his own nest."

I'm working in a merchandising company. [You can also say "I work in..."] I am a programmer analyst.

It is very stressful because I have to maintain the system online while working on the database.

I go to work at 7 o'clock by subway. My working hours vary according to business needs.
My boss is a slave drive. The most important thing for him are profits. [so he is feather his own nest. - not natural - but if you insist "so he can feather his own nest."]

I have a colleague who always looks for ways to buck the system [What do you mean by this? This is an example of using a figure of speech you probably don't understand] and the other one is foul-mouthed and a slacker. Therefore I don't get on well with them.

I've tried to prevent their negative energy from spreading like wildfire. [Just say "from spreading" not "like wildfire."]

On some days I've got my work out for me even in my holidays so they turn to be busman's holiday. ( 's refer to ?) - I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Thence I'll give it up as bad job. - What do you mean?

zeyadsama

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
*buck the system:
to refuse to follow the rules of an organization, so I wanted to use it as he's a bad employee.
I guess the correct sentence will be I have a colleague who bucks the system!.
Sorry I typed it in a wrong way . :)
have your work cut out (for you)
means that you've got a lot of hard work to do
so the correct sentence will be I have my work cut out for me to backup the system even in my holidays so they turn to be busman's holiday.
Busman'sholiday:
a holiday where you do something similar to your usual work instead of having a rest from it.
give 'sth' up as a bad job:
to stop doing something because you do not feel it is worth continuing.Therefore I wanted to say quit in another way.:lol:
I've tried to use new idioms to improve my English because If I use them I'll remember them in the future,but I guess I used them in wrong way:-?:-(

Thanks very much Ms.Barb for helping me.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know what they mean. You used too many and you tried to force them into situations that aren't a good fit. Your second-to-last sentence was not grammatical. I've never seen "thence" used.

zeyadsama

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
:D you are right I tried to fit idioms to situations
okay I can use therefore instead of thence you're right I wanted to use words old-fashioned ^^:roll:I don't know I learn it as second language.
Thanks for your help and for your amendments.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is there a reason that you want to use old-fashioned words and cram multiple idioms into a short piece of writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.